Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Poop in Food Dish

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunnies4ever
      Participant
      368 posts Send Private Message

Does anybody else’s buns poop in their food dish? Kahlua does this all the time, but my other rabbit Chloe doesn’t. I think how disgusting it is to eat from your dish when there’s poop in it, so I’m always picking it out.  Also, I find that Chloe is the neater of the two.  She likes her toys and playthings in one spot, whereas Kahlua’s is all over the place.  If I move Chloe’s toys, she’ll move them right back in the same spot!  I couldn’t have two different bunnies if I tried!

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

She’s pooping in the food bowl to mark it….

something to keep in mind…
          Bunnies have to eat their cecal pellets to keep the flora and fauna in their tummies balanced or else they will get sick.  There are also  nutrients that aren’t absorbed the first time they eat something that they are able to take in the second time it’s eaten.  If you think about  it that your bunny eats her own poop everyday anyhow, it’s not really THAT gross…

• Elena Niznik
          Participant
          132 posts Send Private Message

I’ve had Boo for just over a month now and he initially pooped in his food bowl, so i just moved his water bottle and bowl up the other end and he hasn’t done it since. I also invested in a hay basket i’ve noticed that he poops while he eats and attached it to the corner of the cage that he poos in. Hope that helps.

• Bunnies4ever
            Participant

Thanks! I know about the cecal pellets. He does that in his litterbox. I’m trying to figure out how he does it. He can’t sit in the food bowl, it’s too small. I think he flickts them in at night while he’s playing around.

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

I must admit, I’m not too fond of poop in their dish either. I’m a wimp, it grosses me out too.  And I do gross stuff ! (I have to clean one of my bunny’s rears every once in awhile because she has a crooked spine and she can’t always reach her bum.)   But there is something about  poop in their dish.

Some bunnies will mark their “high value” items, like food, with poop.  It’s his way of claiming it. Out of curiosity, does Kaluha ever chase Chloe away from the dish, or can they eat together in peace?

Is the dish near a litterbox or anything.  Just wondering if it is in a place where accidental poops fly in or if it is truely intentional. 

I love stories like yours because it really just shows  how different bunnies can be!   And that really amazes people who don’t have rabbits.

• Bunnies4ever
                Participant

I think Kahlua’s poop flies in his dish accidently.  I can’t figure out any other way.  I make sure his dish is away from his litterbox. He may have picked up Chloe’s bad habit of rearranging.  It’s funny, I placed Chloe’s litterbox on the right side of her cage.  I always check on them first thing in the morning before I get ready for work and I noticed that Chloe had moved her litterbox to the left side of the cage.  Me, not figuring out what was going on, moved it back to the right side.  The next day, sure enough she had moved it again.  It took me a while to realize that she didn’t like it on the right side, so I left it on the left side of thecage.  I laughed at myself thinking “now, who’s training who?”

• Anita Stark
                  Participant
                  194 posts Send Private Message

Isn’t it funny how a bun rearranges things? Sometimes it doesn’t make sense and other times you can tell it’s purposeful. Sable moves shredded strips of newspaper into and out of his little cardboard tunnel. Sometimes he decorates his whole playpen with the stuff. A few strips in the litter box, one in the food dish… later he starts picking those up and putting them back where he got them. Maybe he likes to read the paper while he’s on the toilet?

Then there’s the litter box. He has a corner box in the playpen. It’s fairly large compared to him but he moves it around. Usually he just pulls it away from the corner so he can run laps around the pen.

Occasionally we find a few poo pellets in the dish with his food, we also find them in the oddest places around the room. Considering he doesn’t have free run yet, this seems to happen when he is tearing about and hits the one or two that he happened to leave outside the box.

• lilmizzsnickerz
                    Participant
                    318 posts Send Private Message

i havent had this problem yet  with my domino thank god =D

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Poop in Food Dish