Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Poo Question

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lisa_43
      Participant
      1499 posts Send Private Message

I have found poo that is normal looking but it is strung together with a couple of other poops, is this anything to worry about?

I am not sure if it is Ebony or her baby, they are both eating ok and everything seems to be normal.

• babybunsmum
        Participant
        3896 posts Send Private Message

baby had lots of those before i reduced her pellets & got her eating more hay.  my theory was that she was’t getting enough fibre to pack the hair she was ingesting into the poops.  but i don’t know if this is actually true or not of course.  so far her only health issue was the mammary lump which i think is safe to say was unrelated.  what are you feeding ebony & baby now?  are they still getting the pregnancy diet?

• Lisa_43
          Participant

Because they are together I give them half Oaten and Lucerne and vegies in the morning and at night.

I did read that babies are supposed to get unlimited pellets, they have only been getting about a handful morning and night.

I have started giving them more pellets, but it’s been hard because mum has been eating them as well.

Do I still need to give the babies more pellets or stick to the morning and night?

If I do are there any suggestions on how to stop mum eating them?

Thanks

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

It’s hard to keep mum away from the pellets. How is the weight on the babies? If that is OK then I am not sure it is bad that they are just getting a handful in the am and pm, but I could totally be wrong. I haven’t raised babies before and usually like you said, it’s unlimited pellets that are mentioned.

• Lisa_43
              Participant

I haven’t weighed them for quite a while but looking at them they look in really good shape.

• bunny04
                Participant
                15 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

The long stringy poops means your bunny is injesting hair. The hair it has injested is coming out. Is your bunny shedding?

Too much hair injested can be deadly, it can lead to GI Statis, here is a really good link, its a must read http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

To help your bunny with the hair you can try combing him/her so they take in less hair. As well, hay helps with passing the hair out. Offer more hay or give fewer pellets to increase the amount of hay that is eatin to get the hair out.

If you see hair in the poo once twice not much to worry about, but if you keep on seeing it than its not good. I mean its good that it is coming out in the poops but it also means your bunny has alot of hair, if it doesn’t pass through the stomach can cause a blockage, which can be a serious problem.

What is oaten and Lucerne?

Timothy hay (or any type of grass hay like oat hay, brome, orchard, brumuda, meadow mix hay ) is the best one to give if you are worried about weight of the mother. For the babies alfalfa and timothy is good. If you feel mom is eating too much pellets then you can try feeding her seperately than the babies, seperate them at feeding time of pellets.

Too much pellets for older rabbits is not good it can lead to obesity, dental problems and generally is not healthy. The main diet should limited pellets, unlimited hay and veggies.

I have a mini rex and once he got seriously sick. I kept on seeing hair in his poop (long string poops) i kept combing him but it was too late. I guess at night he injested alot of hair while grooming himself. When i woke up he was cold, heard loud growling nosies from his stomach, kept moving around. From all the hair he took in he got a hair blockage and it didnt come out, this lead to GI Statis. He did not eat for around 15 hours, because his system was blocked with hair, and he was shaking aswell. When i took him to the vet she gave him some fluids and told me to give him fresh pineapple juice squeezed 3 times daily for 3 days until he gets better. She said if he does not recover within the next day could die!! Luckly, after about 4 hours he started getting better, and in about 2 days fully recovered.

Now anytime i see hair in his poo i try to prevent it by combing him more often as i dont want him to go through that again.

• Lisa_43
                  Participant

I have been giving unlimited hay and they eat lots of it, our Oaten is the same as your Oat and our Lucerne is your Alfalfa hay.

I know the babies are to have Lucerne and I give them half of that and the other half is Oaten.

They get vegies morning and at night, I don’t think mum is over weight it’s just when she lays down sometimes she looks a bit chubby.

I have noticed hair in the poop so I guess she is malting, I presume she is malting by the hair that comes out when you run your hand over her body.

I know their food intake is ok, and I have now cut mums pellet down.

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

I think the occassional poop-string is OK. My bunnies usually have a few here and there that are in the litter box, just a couple strung together. Its more concerning when they’ve got quite a long poop string, or its more frequent because then they’ve got a LOT of fur in their tummies. I think that doing a routine of brushing every evening will really go a long way to prevent this, just so you can get those loose hairs off your bunnies that they would otherwise be ingesting. Perhaps mom is having some because she is grooming the babies?

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Poo Question