Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Plush toys?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • jerseygirl
      22345 posts Send Private Message

I’ve noticed alot of people give their bunnies a plush toy.  I’m curious to know what people have observed in the bunnies behaviour with the toy.  Do you think they view it like a companion and  it can calm them?  I know some of them groom these toys.

But then I sometimes think it would disturb my bunny if i gave her one.  Wouldn’t she think of it like another bunny with no heartbeat – wouldn’t that be distressing? 

If it’s a positive addition, I’d definately like to give her one if it gives her a sense of companionship. However, i don’t think she’d be fooled. As I said, no heartbeat, no scent, no return grooming.  Maybe with the other buns they have favorite toys.  Mine seems to disapprove of toys!

Sorry, I’m going round in circles on this!

• Binkles
        Participant
        823 posts Send Private Message

No scent. There you have it. Your bunny will automatically know that it isn’t real.

Binkles LOVED her lamb. Groomed it all the time. Hid under its ears. Don’t think for one second that bunnies don’t form emotional attachments to inanimate objects like we do -they absolutely do.

So go ahead and go all out! You can’t fool your bunny.

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

Bailey found comfort in her toy bunny. I also made sure to give it the scent of Jack. After brushing Jack, I would take his fur and rub it all over the bunny. I would also cut a hole in the toy bunny head, and shove the Jack’s hair in there.

Now with Jack, when he would see the “toy bunny” he would growl at it and then spray it. Which actually helped it smell more like a rabbit and then it made Bailey cuddle with it more.

One thing to note though. Be sure that whatever toy you choose, choose one with short fibers. Also, pull on the fibers and make sure they don’t come out. You also might want to wash it first (if it’s washable) to get all the “extra” fibers out. You also have to make sure that washing didn’t end up loosening fibers too.  Seems you have to watch out either way.  You don’t want your bunny to groom a toy that’s fibers come out too easily. Since they are synthetic, it would be much harder to digest than regular fur.

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

You know I didn’t have a plush toy for Spockie, but I did have a square throw pillow that was really soft and squishy that he licked all the time. He loved it. Now I think it was the same idea as a plush toy, similar size, squishy, etc. I’m thinking that he put his own scent on it by licking it, then when he came back it smelled like him, so he liked it and did it more. Like a blankie. I never washed it because he loved it – just left it around where he could get to it. Maybe the decorative features on toys are irrelevant. I know that many of you have had real success using a toy for a bonding step as BB described.

Binkles, I love your Lamb stories. That is the sweetest thing.

• kralspace
              Participant
              2663 posts Send Private Message

I can’t think of a delicate way to say it, my boys totally “used” their stuffies until they were neutered. no respect, cuddling or grooming

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

lol Kralspace! ^^^

i think some people do just use them as an “outlet” for their unneutered boys. i gave the buns a stuffed toy when i was bonding and they didn’t seem to care any which way.

another thing that was not mentioned, and i’m sure not everyone does this, but you can get stuffed toys designed for babies that do not have button eyes. they just have stitched thread where the eyes are. i always worry that the buns would bite off the eyes and try to eat them…

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

I gave Rupert a cuddly toy since he was all by himself. He seemed to snuggle with it, never groomed it though and did pee on it a bit. But I brought it with him to the vets etc. to give him comfort.

I am considering getting another one for Chuck, since the other two aren’t always with him (he won’t really leave his area, so although they both seem to like/love him, groom him etc. he’s by himself often) I think it would comfort him a bit

Coco, the bunny I’m bunny sitting has two little stuffies, and he sits in a shoebox with them, and just chins them or carries them around-SO CUTE

I think they really do like them-I don’t think it’s distressing at all!!

• Hedi
                    Participant
                    969 posts Send Private Message

When Cooper wasn’t fixed I gave him a plush dog that was about his size so he had something to hump. Of course it had to be pitched but it definitely saved my leg! lol

We keep a little stuffed Moose named Bullwinkle and a little Velveteen Rabbit named Spot on our living room Ottoman. Anytime the buns get up there they take turns kissing and chiining both of these stuffed animals. But I have to watch them w/ Spot because they like to try and eat his whiskers.

And actually, for Hoopie his absolute favor thing in the world is one of my husbands hats. He could sit and lick it for hours! I guess my husbands sweaty head must taste good. lol

• MimzMum
                      Participant
                      8029 posts Send Private Message

Our cats used to love rubbing up on and licking the armpits of my husband’s shirts, and my son’s stinky sweatsocks. *ugh*
                        Pip used to have a ‘stunt bunny’ when we were first bonding her to Mimzy, but she bit into the side of its face, so I don’t give it to her anymore. I had to cut the plastic whiskers off of it because she definitely would’ve eaten them! >.<

• jerseygirl
                        22345 posts Send Private Message

Mmmm, thinking I should let her choose her own thing… or give her one of my sisters shoes – she loves them! We share a house together but she is not a bunny slave. The bun getting into her stuff is a no no!
                          Jersey spends a bit of time in the evenings on a bean bag hidden in a corner. She digs at it and rearranges then snuggles down. She also tears at the fabric so I’m keeping a close eye on that and I’m going to have to prevent her from going there soon I think. She has a little pet pillow in her ‘room’ covered in faux sheepskin but she’s not interested. Yet she’ll sit on a squisy bean bag because she chose it.

• skunklionshow
                          Participant
                          1257 posts Send Private Message

It’s amazing how most pets need to show that it was “their idea” not ours.

My Leo is a licker.  He licks everything all the time.  I got him his first stuffed toy b/c he loved having something to lick.  When the stuffed bunnies went down to 90% clearance post Easter, we got him 2 more.  We havea small one that is wedged in the grids.  It is right next to water bottle.  The other 2 take turns in the bunny bed.  Occassionally his Jessica get’s jealous and throws the stuffed bun out of the cage.  It’s really funny when she does this.  I put them a bunny in his carrier whenever he goes to the vet.  He is definately comforted by his stuffed friends.

I had a friend that I gave a little stuffed kitten to several years ago.  He kept it on a shelf above his tv and found that it was often missing.  Turned out his cat was using it as a substitute little kitten.  She would walk around w/ it in her mouth…by the scruff of course.  She would sleep w/ it, eat w/ it, groom it…it was sooo cute!

Speaking of stinky cat obsessions….my mom’s persian has a tendancy to steal socks and “used” them (kralspace’s wording).  I was told to never leave socks outside of my suitcase when I visited b/c I’d never get it back and if I did I wouldn’t want it.  That stinkin’ cat is/was neutered!!!!

• MimzMum
                            Participant
                            8029 posts Send Private Message

LMAO skunklionshow, I think our cats just find sweat as appealing as catnip. We put it in old socks and they just slobber them to death!

So far, stunt puppy is getting the cold tail today.

1728134683371.jpg

• Cassi&Charlie
                              Participant
                              1260 posts Send Private Message

I gave Charlie my stuffed toy Toby, a puppy with the same markings as him and he attacks it at every opportunity. Not sure why, but convenient because we put it on the bookshelf and now he doesn’t get in there anymore and chew boyfriends textbooks & assignments.

172831460371.JPG

• Deleted User
                                Participant
                                22064 posts Send Private Message

Luey is not interested in stuffed things …

However, piggy Tyson has a soft bunny toy which he uses to lie on and sleep!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Plush toys?