Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A please read: going to the vet in about an hour

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Beka27
      Participant
      16016 posts Send Private Message

i leave for the vet in about an hour and a half… so please read this and respond if you can help…

not an emergency, but it just dawned on me… this is the first time i’m taking Meadow to the vet in colder weather (no snow, but very windy and about 40 degrees or so).  we’re just going for a nail trim, so don’t everyone get all scared or anything… she’s fine!  but, in addition to her blanket in the carrier, should i cover the top of it with a blanket… but then i don’t want her to overheat…  also how much heat should i have in the car…  it doesn’t matter if i freeze or anything, i just want Meadow to be comfortable… she’ll be stressed anyways with the car ride…

• MarkBun
        Participant
        2842 posts Send Private Message

I would say a blanked for her to cuddle with would be enough. I would also run the car a bit first, get the heat going before bringing the bunny out and into the car. If the temp is good for you, it should be fine for her. You might want a blanket over the carrier while transporting to and from the car to cut down on breezes.

Of course, this is coming from a californian…

• osprey
          Participant
          2065 posts Send Private Message

I agree with markusdark (another Californian, heh).  I’d think the drafts would be worse than the cold, so a blanket over the ventilated parts of the carrier until she’s in the car and then again until she’s in the vets office would be sufficient.

• Beka27
            Participant

that’s about what i was thinking… i’ll warm the car up a bit and pull the car right up to the door when i put her in… thanks guys!

• poopy
              Participant
              684 posts Send Private Message

if its just for a nail trim, i would try and do it at home to avoid the stress of a car ride. see binkybunny’s maintenance section for tips on nail trims

• MarkBun
                Participant
                2842 posts Send Private Message

My first rabbit had black nails. I couldn’t see the quick so I preferred to bring the bun into the vet. Also, my GF has me either clip her bun’s nails or I am the one that takes her to a trimmer across the street as the rabbit hates anyone who does it.

• Beka27
                  Participant

maybe this is weird… but i find that the stress helps it get done easier… she’s a little bit unsure of herself b/c of the confusion from the car and a different environment… and she is a perfect angel for the trimming… at home she knows she can get away with more and she goes nuts on me.  i do it at home sometimes, but it’s such a huge production with her.

• babybunsmum
                    Participant
                    3896 posts Send Private Message
                      Posted By markusdark on 11/30/2007 9:54 AM
                      You might want a blanket over the carrier while transporting to and from the car to cut down on breezes.

this is exactly what i did when i took Baby in for her appointments / surgery.  i pre-heated the car too.  of course we go t our first real cold spell the first time i took her out

i agree about the nail trimming thing actually… Baby was sort of cautious being out of her home base & it made it easier to clip her nails.  i guess it might depend on the bun tho.  my girl was stressed in a subdued way but i could tell she wasn’t frantic at the trip. 

• LittlePuffyTail
                      18092 posts Send Private Message

I do my bun’s nails myself but it can be tricky. Stormy takes 2 people, one to hold and one to clip and his nails are really thick and black, while Bindi is pretty good about it and has very thin cat like nails. It’s weird how their nails can be so very different.

• Gravehearted
                        Participant
                        2428 posts Send Private Message

how did Meadow do with the cold? I think stress and unfamiliar turf without a doubt make it much easier to clip nails and other things! Glad to hear the clipping went well.

when I lived on the east coast, we’d preheat the car and wrap the carrier in a blanket to keep out the elements. Bunnies do generally like air blowing on them, but I’d recommend a temp similar to your house since you want her to be comfy, but not toasty.

• Beka27
                          Participant

she did fine.  i let the car warm up a few minutes… i pulled right up to the door so we only had to go about ten feet to the car.  i had a towel over the top of her carrier and she had her big fluffy blanket inside that she was laying on.  i put her in the backseat, being mindful that the sun wouldn’t be shining right on her the way we’d be driving [i don’t like the sun in my eyes… my guess is that buns don’t either…]  when i got in the car, i cut off the heat since i didn’t want her to get overly warm, plus there weren’t drafts in the car, so i figured it was a good temp.  everything went smoothly!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A please read: going to the vet in about an hour