Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE please help unknown wound!

• This topic has 4sd replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Bam.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Calvin
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone

I posted a forum on here in December last year asking if anyone could help identify this wound- since then i managed to get her to the vets (after months of calling and trying to get an appointment) and they have no clue what this is.. she was on antibiotics for a week but nothing has changed

it hasn’t grown anymore, she’s eating, and is energetic…. The vet said that they could get a sample to identify but that can cost around £200.. and i don’t even know if they will help for some reason the vets here just don’t seem to care

I think my only option is to ask on here for any advice.

by any chance does anyone know any natural remedy that could possibly help this at all? i’m in the UK so anything that can be purchased here would really help, on my previous forum someone mentioned Manuka honey but I wanted to check on here first before i do anything

please let me know!

• Bam
        16875 posts Send Private Message

You can use manukka honey on wounds on rabbits, but I would NOT use it on her without asking your vet if it’s ok to try. The “problem” with manukka honey is that its very very tasty, so the risk is she’ll want to clean her face with her paws to get to the honey. This could make matters worse, obviously. You would probably need to put a cone on her to prevent her from tampering with the wound.

It does look weird.

I come to think of rabbit syphilis, treponematosis, but the placement of the wound is not typical. For rabbit syphilis , a week of normal rabbit abx would make no difference.

• Wick & Fable
          5781 posts Send Private Message

Have you tried a different vet? One rabbit savvy? You did not mention what sort of testing may have been done. Throwing antibiotics at a wound without knowing the cause seems pretty low commitment so I’d encourage widening the search for a vet with good rabbit experience and expertise.

At this point, I’d think there is concern for both the initial cause of this, in addition to what may be some consequences of it continuing for so long. Blood work, head x-ray, sampling, for example, would all be informative diagnostic assessments.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
            16907 posts Send Private Message

Did the vet confirm that this isn’t an abscess? Is the wound just on the surface or does it go deeper?

• Bam
              16875 posts Send Private Message

I too was think perhaps there’s an abscess underneath. In that case, if a course of antibiotics doesnt help (although one week is often to short a time), the abscess probably need to be opened and cleaned out, then be kept open so it heals from the inside and out.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE please help unknown wound!