Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Please Help! Neuter Incision Site Open

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • appapapa
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I adopted 2 angoras from the Humane Society a little less than a month ago. They are fixed, bonded, and live together in a pen inside.

today I finally felt like I had built enough trust with our male, Appa, to trim his belly which has been starting to get matted. When I got down to his crotch i noticed that hes neuter incisions looked like they were completely open and filled brown crusty stuff, im not sure whether these are scabs or debris which had gotten caught in the wound. The area does jot appear inflamed and he does not appear to be in pain but it does not look normal to me. Also the incision is not fresh so there is no blood. He was neutered at the Humane Society probably a month before I got him so they did not tell me to check his surgical scars, this was the first time I had seen them so i have no idea how long they have been like this.

Im going to try to contact the Humane Society  and our vet tomorrow to see if they can examine him or give any advice. Until than any advice is greatly appreciated.

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

Can you post a picture?

• Susanne
          Participant
          419 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like you found his scent glands..

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

I’m thinking scent glands too. You should clean them. Its not difficult. Here’s a little video on how to do that:

https://youtu.be/_x9dbSUdomg

Its not very likely that a rabbit would have open incisions for so long after a neuter, and if the incisions indeed had failed to heal, there would have been problems with infection/inflammation earlier on.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Please Help! Neuter Incision Site Open