Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Please Help, my bunny is attacking my puppy

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Raf's mom
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I have a 1 and a half year old bunny named Raf, who is unspayed, and two months ago I got a two month old puppy Iroh (who is now 4 months old). They have been introduced and have gotten along for the past month and a half. We took the introductions slow and removed Iroh any time that Raf started to get uncomfortable. In the past week Raf has gotten progressively more aggressive towards Iroh. It started with him scratching at Iroh last week and we have been keeping a very close eye on the two since. They have been playing and even laying down together since, but today as Iroh went to walk into my bedroom Raf met him at the doorway and bit him. He latched onto Iroh, who yelped and tried to run away but Raf was latched on so hard to him that he just ended up dragging him as Iroh ran. My boyfriend had to physically pull Raf off of the puppy, who was scared and bleeding.

Raf has never been aggressive prior to last week and it has only been directed towards the puppy. He has also begun peeing all over the place and pooping everywhere as well, which is especially weird because he is litter box trained.

Please help! I don’t want this to continue and have to give either of them away and I don’t want Raf to keep hurting my puppy.

• LBJ10
        16898 posts Send Private Message

You should keep them separate for now. It sounds like your bunny is feeling territorial toward the puppy. Any plans on getting Raf neutered?

• Hazel
          Participant
          2587 posts Send Private Message

It’s very normal for an intact rabbit to pee and poop all over the place and act aggressively. In fact it’s surprising he’s this old and you’re just now seeing this type of behavior. The new puppy most likely flipped that hormonal switch.

There isn’t much you can do other than keeping them apart and getting Raf neutered.

• Raf's mom
              Participant
              2 posts Send Private Message

I hadn’t gotten him neutered before just because it was never an issue, he has always been really gentle and sweet. I had a feeling that after this incident I would need to get him neutered, but wanted to see what some other bunny parents thought about the situation. Thank you for all of your help!

• Wick & Fable
              5781 posts Send Private Message

I agree with those above that your puppy is causing your rabbit to feel territorial, and this is likely highly facilitated by the fact that Raf is not neutered (spaying is for females). Options would include getting Raf neutered and doing slow introductions and/or housing them in a way that they are safely separated from each other. Both animals can do significant damage to each other.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Please Help, my bunny is attacking my puppy