Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS PLEASE HELP ME UPGRADE MY RABBIT’S CAGE!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • jerseybunnies
      Participant
      47 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I have a 7 month old holland lop buck named Cotton :)) He is very sweet. However, he doesn’t use his litter box as I’ve explained in a post before. So, he has a kind-of refined area. It’s a medium-sized dog exercise pen and a dog crate attached to one another. The dog crate’s door stays open all the time unless I’m cleaning it. We also have a large kitchen and he runs around there a lot during the day. He also gets to run around our backyard as well.

I just think that he deserves more space. I’m probably getting inside my head, but I think his cage might be too small for him. I’ve tried looking at other options but they are just too expensive for me to buy right now.

Please leave any suggestions you have, or any links to any more cheap dog pens or anything like that. I would love to free roam him in my room, but 1) its carpet, and 2) he isn’t litter box trained. he’s getting neutered this weekend… luckily!

I really think he should have more space. I feel terrible but buying tons of X-Pens right now is just so expensive. I’ve gotten tips to do the C&C Grid method thing, but to be quite honest I just don’t like the look of it. I don’t want to sound rude, I just don’t think the look of it really matches the area he is in (kind of in my kitchen area) and I think it doesn’t look as neat. (If you have this kind of cage I really don’t mean to be rude, it’s just my opinion! Sorry) So I really want to connect a lot of X-Pens so he can do binkys and zoomies, but I have a very tight budget.

Thanks if you took the time to read. Any help is appreciated. :))

These are just my suggestions. Please seek an experienced veterinarian if you have medical needs / questions. Thank you! 

• Bu20055
        Participant
        246 posts Send Private Message

Do you have trouble with him chewing baseboards? If not if you can set him up in the corner with the dog pen in a wide v, that’ll give him more space. In other words, have it make a big square in the corner of a room, but don’t have any of the panels against the wall. I’m not sure if that makes sense, hopefully you understand. I’ll look for a pic and pop it up here for you when I get the chance.

• DanaNM
          8925 posts Send Private Message

If you don’t like the look of cube condos (which was going to be my suggestion until I kept reading, LOL), maybe check out some of the things people have built in this section on this site: https://binkybunny.com/bunnyinfo/other-habitats/

If you are crafty or reasonable with building things, there are lots of things you can build that look nice. Building up adds a lot of interested to a bun’s home turf, I think most bunnies really like having levels to explore. It gives it more a burrow-like feel.

Personally I think the cube condos can be made to look just as nice or nicer than a dog crate and x-pen, but that’s just my opinion! 😉

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Wick & Fable
            5781 posts Send Private Message

I will make one more plug for the C&C cages, while understanding that they do have a certain look, but there are things you can do to make them look more appealing. https://www.instagram.com/p/B4apeUIlpTh/

This was a 3-story one I made, and aside from the 2 white zipties on the door that stand out like a sore thumb because I just ran out of black, I found it neater than a lot that I found made online. If you find this more up your alley, I can give tips!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• jerseybunnies
              Participant
              47 posts Send Private Message

Yes, actually, I like the look of what you made!! What is the link to those cube grid things??

These are just my suggestions. Please seek an experienced veterinarian if you have medical needs / questions. Thank you! 

• Bu20055
                Participant
                246 posts Send Private Message

You can get those cube grids on Amazon by looking up “wire cube shelves” or anything along those lines.

• DanaNM
                  8925 posts Send Private Message

🙂 You can search “storage cube grids” or “neat idea cubes” and you should find some links to various stores.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Wick & Fable

Those are the connectors that actually come with the grids themselves. If you make a c and c cage, I cannot stress ENOUGH that you should NOT buy the cheapest grid set you find. Go for the pricier ones. The cheap ones, as I’ve learned, can come very warped, so using the connectors are impossible, which is probably a big reason why many people forgo them and just do zip ties for everything. Buy the higher end cube organize to ensure all your pieces are perfectly square so the connectors can all snap in place properly and securely. Then zip tie all those grids together for extra security and holding strength. There’s probably 200 zip ties in that cage, and it held really well and didn’t make noise because everything was connected and secure.

Yes. Cannot stress enough. Don’t cheap out on the grids. My first cage built was a nightmare. I couldn’t use literally half of the grids because they wouldn’t be square enough to snap into the connectors securely. It also led to cage sounds because some corners weren’t fastened in the connectors, so they’d rattle.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Wick & Fable

I liked mixing the solid grids in as well. Made it look more like a furniture piece than a giant cage, haha. I bought different sets to get the square grids and solid squares.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS PLEASE HELP ME UPGRADE MY RABBIT’S CAGE!!