Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR plastic litter box issues

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • crazylittlebunny
      Participant
      21 posts Send Private Message

Up until recently I have been using disposable cat litter boxes for my rabbit. However, tractor supply apparently no longer sells them anymore so I had to get a small plastic cat letterbox for him. Barney loves to chew everything so I’m a little nervous to give him this litter box but he’s chewing and ripping up the last disposable litter box that I have for him so I’m gonna have to change out the litter boxes soon. He knows what the word “no means but is a bit of a stinker butt and chooses not to listen to me. This is probably a weird/ridiculous question to ask but is there any way I could bunny proof a plastic litter box?? I don’t want barney to accidentally swallow some plastic if he decides to start chewing it.

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

You could cover the edges in cardboard or something, though fastening the cardboard onto it may be difficult. I find rabbits are more likely to chew plastic litterboxes if they are one of those that have designated high walls and low walls — I think there being different heights makes it tempting to chew down the high sides, haha. Also, I think thicker rather than thin is better, as it’s harder to get a good grip around it.

One of my rabbits is pretty chew-inclined, and she does nothing more than nip at the litterbox occasionally. I used a boot box just like this:

Boot Boxes - Our Boot Box | The Container Store

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• crazylittlebunny
          Participant

I bought the smallest cat litter box they had which also had, I would say, medium height walls? Not Really low and not really high. Even so he still likes to chew whatever he can (Litter boxes, carpets, anything wooden, cardboard, etc..) so I’m still a little worried giving him this particular litter box.

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

I imagine he was chewing the old boxes a lot because they are basically cardboard. Even if he chews the new one, it’s not likely he will bite off and swallow whole pieces. But sometimes the chewing can make sharp edges on the plastic which can be worrisome. I have had success clamping cardboard to the edges of the box so that my bun chewed that instead of the box.

Giving him things that it’s safe to chew (like cardboard) will also help redirect that energy to something safe.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• crazylittlebunny
              Participant

alright, I will try to clamp cardboard to his new litter box before giving it to him and see how that works out. 🙂

I know that I can buy the disposable litter boxes online for about $13 per 3 pack, but he chews and rips them up so much that it would be too expensive for me to keep replacing them once every week or two.

• LBJ10
                16899 posts Send Private Message

I think the cardboard trick will be fine. After awhile, he may lose interest and you won’t have to worry about it so much.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR plastic litter box issues