Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pinwormsssss

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • ChannyPea
      Participant
      15 posts Send Private Message

hi guys.

So, I just noticed a pinworm in whinnies poo.

She had them a couple of months ago in May, she was treated with panacur which was advised by the vet and instructions for 9 days.

I thought the 9 day treatment was successful, she was back to her usual self, healthy poops etc. But now they’re back I’m wondering if she’s caught them again, or if they ever even left in the first place. I know they should be treated every 3 months but it’s only just been 2 months. The treatment was ordered on the 3rd of may according to my emails. So it has just about been bang on 2 months since her treatment finished. Has anyone else experienced this? Did I do something wrong? I’m gunna call the vets tomorrow and mull it over with them, but just wondered if anyone here might have any advice or experience with pinworms.

I read they’re hard to eliminate due to them eating faeces that has eggs in, but surely if they never went away from the last treatment, their presence would have been noticed sooner? I examine her poops quite regularly to make sure her diet is good etc and haven’t seen any. Just tonight. So I really don’t know where they’ve come from or how they’ve reappeared. Please help! I feel a bit bad, like I’ve not treated her properly or something. I’ve seen people on FB pages have administered panacur for 28 days to get rid of them but it said on the instructions only 9 days? So I’m unsure if I did it right back in may?

Any help would be great, I understand it’s not a diagnostic centre or a vet page but I find sometimes other peoples experiences can be a little more helpful than jargon on a piece of paper.

Thanks in advance. X

• Bam
        16836 posts Send Private Message

Panacur for 28 days is for e cuniculi-treatment, which has nothing to do with pinworms.

Its possible that some eggs survived the last treatment round. Where I am, pinworms in rabbits are commonly treated with panacur for 5 days, then wait 10-14 days and give 5 more days of panacur. This is because eggs that survived the first round of panacur will have hatched after 10-14 days.

• ChannyPea
          Participant
          15 posts Send Private Message

I know that pinworms aren’t related to EC I just wondered if the 28 day dosage was correct for pinworms. I did think it was a little excessive. 🙂

I have picked up the panacur but there apparently wasn’t a vet available to speak too. I phoned the vet this morning but they just said to administer for 9 days again. But that would be a preventive dose, not a dose to eradicate the worms. I tried explaining that and they got a little huffy with me so I just said okay. 😫 So should I try 5 days then break for 14 and do another 5?

I’m based in the UK so things get done a little differently over here which I’m assuming, isw they told me to do 9 days, not two lots of 5. I just feel like my vet isn’t being very helpful and is just happy to Palm me off after I’ve spent some money. I really do believe the eggs have stayed from the first round and now I’m seeing them because they’ve matured. I’m about to give her first dose, so maybe I should just try what you said and hope for the best. If they still show again in a couple of months, it’ll have to be a visit to the vet whether they like it or not haha They never even tested her for pinworms, they just took my word for it. Luckily I know what I’m looking for! But I also know the 9 day dose didn’t achieve the right results. Argh. Sorry for the long essay, I just want to make sure I’m doing what’s right for my bun. Thank you. X

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pinwormsssss