Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pinky not himself

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Moonlightbunny66
      Participant
      694 posts Send Private Message

I turned the lights on this morning and Pinky didn’t get as excited as he usually does. He usually jumps up to the front of the pen and stands up with his paws on the bars. He just sat there and I tried to call him over to me but it took a bit, which is unusual.
        He ate the veggies I gave him though. Could it have anything to do with giving them the new farm hay last night? I gave them more this morning and Muffin was eating it but Pinky didn’t even come up.

Maybe he’s having gas again? My dad was going to pick up the Simethicone gas drops tomorrow because it’s grocery shopping day tomorrow. I’m worried about Pinky, should we go get it today? And it couldn’t be gi stasis since he’s eating, right? Or do they still eat sometimes during it? :/

They have a vet appointment with the non-rabbit-savvy vet tomorrow. Pinky is just sitting in his pen with his eyes closed. He also pooped all over his pen during the night, which didn’t happen yesterday. He was doing this everyday before until yesterday. I thought his litter habits were just getting better but maybe not?

Any advice?

• Moonlightbunny66
        Participant

He’s now eating some hay. Still acting a little too chill for being Pinky.

• Moonlightbunny66
          Participant

I’m really worried, it just seems like somethings wrong. ):

• Moonlightbunny66
            Participant

I gave him a belly massage maybe an hour ago. His stomach felt kind of firm. Muffins feels the same though, but I felt him when he was laying down and Pinky when he was sitting hunched. Maybe full of food? I just gave Pinky another belly massage and it felt softer, still a little firm on one side. I don’t know what it’s supposed to feel like though, I’ve never had rabbits before. I think the massage made him feel a bit better. He started chewing his log house. We’re gonna get the Simethicone drops today and see if that helps. :/ I love my bunnies, I want them to be happy and healthy. 🥺

• Bam
              16838 posts Send Private Message

Its a great sign that he is eating, also pooping all over a cage is not a sign of stasis. Obviously, because stasis means the intestines are not moving. When the intestines stop moving, poop can’t move out.

He can very well be having son gas. Simethicone baby has drops typically take 20-30 min to take effect. Give 1-2 ml every hour for three hours. After that, if you think it’s helping him, you can give once or twice daily, since he seems prone to gas now.

New hay can be difficult to digest for a bun who has a sensitive tummy. Hay is still the best way to make a bunny tummy less sensitive over time.

Its very good that you are so observant. 😊

• Moonlightbunny66
                Participant

Thank you so much! I’m glad it’s not gi stasis. I’m new to having bunnies, trying to learn about these health things. He hasn’t really been eating hay today, just a couple pieces. Muffin has been eating more.

I’ll do that with the drops then, thank you! I’ll see if it makes him feel better.

• DanaNM
                  8901 posts Send Private Message

Maybe he doesn’t like the new hay very much so isn’t eating enough, which led to some gas? Some buns are really picky about hay, and I think I remember Pinky was kinda picky about hay in general? If he refuses to eat the new hay you will need to try a different kind unfortunately, but maybe mixing some of the old hay in will encourage him to try it. There is also a chance he might have some molar spurs. His breed isn’t prone to them, but all buns can get them, especially if they were formally not fed enough hay to keep them ground down. So if he continues to have these vague symptoms and selective eating habits, I would have his teeth checked by the vet.

Tummy rubs really can work wonders for gas, so I often give them at the slightest hint that something could be up. Encouraging movement can also help.

Agree with Bam, if he’s eating and pooping it isn’t stasis, and it’s good you are so observant. It’s often these tiny things that are the first symptom of a problem (“oh, Fluffy let me pick him up today and he never does that”).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Moonlightbunny66
                    Participant

Thank you! He was enjoying the hay last night. I picked up some Timothy hay from the store in case that’s the issue. I mixed some into the new hay. He got excited when he heard the bag but when I put it in he didn’t eat it.

I tried to get him to come out and run around to see if it would help. He only came out because I bribed him with pellets but then he hopped back inside his pen.

I’ll continue the tummy rubs!

I can have them check his teeth at the vet tomorrow. I’ll have to warn them that he may bite… Feisty Pinky.

Yeah it made me sad that he wasn’t excited this morning when I turned the lights on and opened the curtains. ): So I thought there must be something going on.

Thank you!

• DanaNM

It does sound like some sort of discomfort, and if he was eating hay last night, then gas sounds more likely!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Moonlightbunny66
                        Participant

Thanks. Can you check my recent post on the drops I got? I wanna know if they’re safe. Also I took a photo from digging in his litter box and there’s a bunch of these little white seeds in and on the poops. Something from the farm hay? And I could’ve sworn I saw some double poops earlier. Muffins poops don’t have the seeds on it.

• NoodletheRabbit
                          Participant
                          45 posts Send Private Message

Those seeds look like hay seeds, from the bigger seed stalks in the hay, if you know what I’m talking about? Maybe Pinky was eating one over top of his poops, and spilled some seeds as he was eating? That happens to my bun all the time, makes quite a mess!! 😆 Have you tried opening the poops (I know, sounds gross) but this way you can see if the seeds are in the stools.

• Moonlightbunny66
                            Participant

Thanks! I figured it’s probably not an issue since I saw these seeds fall off some of the hay after I noticed those poops. I just thought they would be digested into the poops? It could’ve fallen on top since there were some inside too.

• Bam
                              16838 posts Send Private Message

Some seeds are difficult to digest, so they go right through. This is important for many plants, they rely on birds and wild animals to eat their seeds, then carry them away a distance where the seed can be deposited with the poop (excellent manure!) and maybe grow into new plants. There are even seeds that won’t sprout if they haven’t first passed through the intestines of a bird. Hawthorn is like that. 😃

• Moonlightbunny66
                                Participant

Oh wow! That’s interesting lol. Nature is a wonderful thing.

• DanaNM

How’s Pinky doing today?

• Moonlightbunny66
                                    Participant

He looks like he’s doing better. Thanks for asking! He’s been eating some of the Oxbow Timothy hay. And there’s been less hunched over sitting and he flopped over so cutely earlier.

I haven’t seen him drink water today, but it looks like the water in his bowl went down a bit. Maybe he’ll eat more hay tonight when he’s active, then drink. I gave him 0.50ml of the Simethicone drops on a piece of celery earlier too.

We also got him a new litter box, the same size as Muffin’s. Now cage swapping will be have easier clean up lol.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pinky not himself