Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR pinewood for building?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunbaby<3
      Participant
      15 posts Send Private Message

I’ve read everywhere that using pine shaving are horrible for your bunnies health so I steered away from pine shaving liters and went with paper liter(:
        But I was curious if i could build anything for my fur baby with any kind of wood so i looked it up and read some things saying kiln dried and heat treated pine wood is safe but if its pressure treated its got harmful chemicals?? I’m really curious on if the kdht wood is safe to use and wont bother my bunnies respiratory health(:

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

Kiln dried is fine. One of the most popular rabbit litters is horse stall pine pellets, which are kiln-dried. It is the phenol that is dangerous for rabbits. While kiln-drying does not get rid of all of it (there is sometimes still an odor), it’s a level that isn’t harmful.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
          16908 posts Send Private Message

Yes, kiln dried pine is perfectly fine. Treated lumber of any kind isn’t safe.

• bunbaby<3
              Participant

thank you!! i was nervous about that scent that it gave off so i was being paranoid once again but you guys have reassured me its fine so again thank you(:

(agaainn sorry for the very late response I’ve been so occupied with school work, bunbear and work in general !)

• DanaNM
              8935 posts Send Private Message

Agree with the above! Pine lumber in general is also safe compared to shavings because it’s one piece that would be used for a long time. I think the main issue with pine shavings is that you are constantly refreshing them, so the phenols (aromatic compounds) are continually released. Plus shavings have so much more surface area, etc.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• bunbaby<3
                Participant

I’ve built her little little box and hay feeder area out out the wood and she seemed fine like you guys all suggested by the way so thank you! I’ve been in college so I’ve been super busy with that I haven’t been on here! Unfortunately I’ve came up with a problem, it wouldnt let me create a new topic so hopefully someone can help me out again!

I’ve noticed my baby has contracted mites somehow, I don’t know how this would’ve happened since she’s a single ladyy, I don’t other pets other than her. But I’ve been concerned on how i can clean her area out while giving her treatment and if I have to throw away this litter/hay feeder I’ve made for her 😞. I’ve seen you could freeze some of your rabbits items for about 2 days or otherwise throw like everything out but that wont do my pockets well clearly so i NEEEDD some tips and pointers on how I can effectively treat her without her getting reinfected)): !!

• bunbaby<3
                    Participant

thank you! The problem with the shavings releasing phenols continuously because of changing the litter often does make sense (:

• DanaNM

Glad the hay feeder is working out!

Regarding the mites, are you thinking fur mites or ear mites? Often with fur mites, rabbits can have low levels and no symptoms, and then occasionally something will cause them to flair a bit. In either case, you’ll want to get Revolution (Selamectin) from the vet. They can give you the correct dosage (never use Frontline or Fipronil containing products on rabbits, they can be deadly). Usually treating the animal for a few months and cleaning the environment is enough, I don’t think you’ll need to go so far as to throw away or sterilize any large equipment.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• bunbaby<3
                        Participant

you think soo?! so i’ll just need to make sure everything is overall just cleaned off everyday (even though thats usually done regardless (: ) until treatments done

• DanaNM

To my knowledge… but I can help you start a topic on it if you’d like more feedback! Others might have other thoughts

• DanaNM

I created a new topic for you: https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/dealing-with-mites-for-bunbaby3/

• bunbaby<3
                              Participant

awwh thank you so much!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR pinewood for building?