Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pet Rabbit for Teenager?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Parker
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I really want a pet rabbit, but since rabbits live around 9 to 10 years, and I’m a teenager… my rabbit would be alive while I’m in college. I don’t think any pets are allowed in college, and I don’t wanna just sell it or just get rid of it. My parents too don’t wanna keep a pet rabbit in college, so what should I do? 

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad you’re thinking about this before going and getting one.

You need to think of a couple of things. Are you financially stable on your own? They will need to be spayed or neutered. And when they are sick, it can be very costly. Do you have time to spend with them? They need 4-6 hours of play time a day and not be in a cage all day. Do you have money to pay for their food(hay, veggies)?
          How responsible are you? Be honest with your self, do you stay home or do you go out a lot. They are a lot of responsibility, don’t get me wrong, I love my babies but they need constant care and attention because tbey can get sick very fast. Do you have a rabbit savvy vet near you? For college, I’m in college with 3, granted I live by myself in a house but you can rent an apartment that is pet friendly, but dorms won’t allow them unless they are ESA or disability dogs

Are you parents okay with it staying in the house? And your bun may need a friend if you are busy, of course some buns don’t want partners.

I didn’t want to make this seem like a bad choice but you need to think deeply about this, this is a life you are taking responsibility, through the good and bad and you need to be okay with the What ifs.

• Dface
          Participant
          1084 posts Send Private Message

I took my rabbits to college with me for my masters degree. My boy had a chronic illness, and I spent so much money on him I couldnt always afford food for myself. He died in the middle of my degree and I struggled to return to it.

I later got evicted and i was lucky that my mom was able to take my other two in and care for them while i finished out college.

Rabbits are amazing and my three got me through college. Having said that, if you are looking at dorms it’s hard to get pets in. If you are thinking about other accommodation, be aware there are issues with even private landlords. Its not an easy route to go.

Alternatively, you could adopt an older rabbit who woud likely pass before you leave for college.

• sarahthegemini
            Participant
            5584 posts Send Private Message

Don’t get a rabbit til after you’ve finished college. I know that’s probably not what you want to hear but it seems that would be the best solution for you. Plus when rabbits get poorly, it’s very stressful. I know it’s somewhat stressful when any animal gets sick bit because rabbits go downhill fast, it requires urgent action which can be difficult to deal with whilst studying.

• SwedishClara
              Participant
              9 posts Send Private Message

I agree with a lot of what has been said above.

Getting an older bun is an option, and while shelters usually waive adoption fees for seniors, they also tend to have more medical complications which can be costly for someone who plans pay for college.

I really wanted rats while I was in college. They have a lifespan of 2 years which is ideal if you’re looking for a short term pet, and they are actually some of the most affectionate pets one can adopt. Plus, most landlords are fine with cage dwelling animals.

I personally ended up not getting any pets during college. I waited until 6 months after I graduated to adopt a bunny. Idk there was just something so adult feeling about saving up my money to adopt a rabbit and make a commitment to care for her for the next 10+ years

• tobyluv
                Participant
                3310 posts Send Private Message

I agree that it’s best to wait to get a rabbit until you have finished college. I volunteer at a Rabbit Sanctuary and we are inundated with emails and calls asking us to take rabbits, as are most rescues/sanctuaries. One of the frequent reasons we are given is that the rabbit belongs to a son or daughter who is soon leaving for college, and the parents don’t want to keep it. Many rescues stay full and some don’t take owner surrendered rabbits. Even though you say you wouldn’t want to give away or sell your rabbit, it may come down to that if your parents weren’t willing to keep it. It is not easy to find good homes for rabbits, where you know the rabbit will be safe and well cared for, and with many rescues staying full, you would be in a real bind if it was time for you to leave for college and there was nowhere for your rabbit to go.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pet Rabbit for Teenager?