Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Pet Insurance

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • skwerlybuns
      Participant
      46 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering if any of you have pet insurance and if so which one?   My hubby and I were talking last night as we were “binkin”  the buns in their excercise room and he said if anything  major ever happened to one of our babies we would probably have to sell one of our cars to pay for it since we would want the doc to do everything possible!  

This discussion led to wondering if we should get pet insurance, so hubby said, ” Ask  the Binky Bunny People!”   

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

There are several members who do have it and the one that I know of that is most common is VPI.  We had a discussion going on pet insurance, let me dig out the link:

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=1&tpage=1&view=topic&postid=1018#1060

It is definately something to look into, especially if you have the extra income to do so.

• skwerlybuns
          Participant
          46 posts Send Private Message

Thanks so much Scarlet Rose!  I was looking at the VPI insurance so we will probably call them.

• wendyzski
            Participant
            1312 posts Send Private Message

I have VPI and now with Pepper having developed pasteurella it’s been a godsend.  I’ve been reimbursed close to $1000 so far with more coming, and for only $12 per month.

There is a $50 deductible per condition (so her ear infection and tooth trimming were classed as 2 different things) adn there are some things they don’t cover (like probiotics) but in general once you pay the $50 they reimburse 90%. I spent $106 for a recheck and culture last weekend and I expect the check in a week or two.

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

i am always going back and forth on this. esp. now with two bunnies, i really wonder if it wouldn’t be a good idea, just in case…

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

Me too! Does anyone else have pet insurance stories to tell? I can’t really decide if I should or shouldn’t…I know if it’s a big bill I can’t handle my parents will cover the cost and then I pay them back-it’d be nice to not have to pay them back!!

• ScooterandAnnette
                  Participant
                  1090 posts Send Private Message

K&K, we haven’t been able to find any pet insurance in Canada that covers bunnies – if you hear of one let us know!
                    – Annette

• lygray
                    Participant
                    107 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I also have VPI and ever since Lola’s abscess, well, it helped me. Totally worth it because even if your buns are healthy now…it is hard to find an affordable good exotics vet. At least here in El Paso.

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

i mentioned it to Mike, and he says, “well, they’re healthy.” i am leaning towards getting it. esp. now with two, i would be really worried if something major happened. it would be 24 bucks a month for two…

• Veronica Vigilant
                        Participant
                        186 posts Send Private Message

I have VPI too- for both my rabbits. One of them I pay $12 a month for and the other I actually paid 1 yr upfront so it was more at one time but only $10 a month overall. So far it’s worked great- my one bunny had a skin condition on her ears that I took her to the vet for twice and they covered it no problem. And it makes me feel sooo much better knowing that if anything happens I won’t have to worry about how to pay for it. If you get it while they’re healthy you don’t have to worry about “pre-existing conditions” not being covered. I have a lionhead who’s teeth I’m a little worried about whether they’re getting uneven so I’m really glad I signed him up right away- no if if they do become a problem they should be covered!

• lisa
                          Participant
                          38 posts Send Private Message

I have VPI for my bunny. for what it covers, it is worth it!! I keep his insurance card with mine in my wallet! lol

• skunklionshow
                            Participant
                            1257 posts Send Private Message

I have VPI for my 2 rabbits & 1 of my cats.  I got it after having gone through my 2nd dental drama w/ Leo.  W/ associated complications, each time cost me hundreds of dollars.  W/ my cats…1 became diabetic and the other developed hyperthyroidism.  My ex was a vet nurse, so I never thought I would have to pay for my cat’s medical conditions.  Max’s hyperthyroidism was a mess.  We tried several different medications, which he developed allergies to, each time.  Eventually I had to get him radioactive iodine.  Phoebe’s insulin costs about $90/ bottle, plus needles, & check ups, etc.  I regret that they both became too old to get covered.

I always recommend pet insurance to people.  Eventually you will use it, even if it’s further down the life span.  You’ll be happy you have it when that happens!

• Scarlet_Rose
                              Participant
                              4293 posts Send Private Message

You’re welcome!

• Sarah Jones
                                Participant
                                99 posts Send Private Message

i haven’t got pet insurance for my three. I worked out the costs of 3 rabbits insured over 7-12 years, and it seems to work out cheaper for me to cover costs myself. dougal and his eye removal cost nearly £400 ($800), but that is the only thing i’ve had to worry about in two years (bar injections etc), and the cost of insurance would not have been far off that. i think it probably would have been a good idea to have it before now i think about it, but i actually have a very lovely mummy and she paid for dougal’s eye as a present, mostly i expect, because i was a jibbering wreck during and after! minnie lost her tail actually (it degloved – ew let me tell you!), and the doc just cut the bone off and she healed perfectly. though i now have a rabbit without a tail and a rabbit without an eye hoping around. zebedee (hehe) didnt have any cover, and never ever went to the vet, and she lived in the hutch in the garden at my ex’s. she is now 7 with no noticeable aging going on!

• KatnipCrzy
                                  Participant
                                  2981 posts Send Private Message

I signed my bunny Cotton up for VPI insurance.  As others have mentioned they do not cover pre-existing conditions- and since she is young I figure I will insure her for at least a year- and then evaluate.  But I think I will most likley keep the insurance.

A lot of things vary from state to state due to various laws- even with the SAME insurance company.

From my understanding they will never cover things like nail trims and teeth trims.  And they do not cover some things considered to be “genetic”- so if a bunny has severely maloccluded (crooked) teeth- they will not cover any of those treatment costs (trimming, sedation, surgery, etc).  But yet they WILL cover other dental expenses that are not related to crooked teeth- jaw abcess, etc.

So I would recommend calling and talking to a rep- to see what applies for your state.  As experiences can vary.

And vet prices vary from rural areas to suburban areas- as shown by quotes for neutering/spaying.  So especially if you live in an area where vet prices are high- then it is even more important to consider pet insurance!  As the rates I beileve are based on what state you are in, and the age of the pet, etc.  But I do not think your actual location in the state affects the rate. 

In NE Michigan- where I am from- vet prices are alot cheaper. For example, 5 years ago- we were going to visit my parents in NE Michigan- 5 hours away from where we live now.  I saw a dog get hit by the SUV in front of us on the highway.  I made my husband pull over- and I was able to wrap the 30lb beagle mix in a blanket- and we drove her the remaining 20 minutes to my parents house.  They have NO animal control officers in the area, the Humane Society is run by donation, etc.  So on a Saturday afternoon, I had to decide what to do with this dog!  i took it to the one vet that was in the office (they were there already doing a surgery)- talked to the vet assistant, gave all my info, explained the dog was hit by a car, no tags, etc- but that I would pay the vet bill- and we dropped the dog off.  Now, I was freaking out a little- as I WORK at a vet clinic- I was expecting the emergency exam, x-rays, sedation and stitching, overnight stay and pain meds and antibiotics were gonna cost be $500 for a dog that wasn’t mine!  I picked the dog up the next day- it was $125!   Now that was including the $20 good samaritan discount they applied.  But I was floored that it was so cheap!!!!    (And it all worked out in the end- I left the dog to recover at my parents house- and the owner heard their ad on the radio- they came and got their dog AND paid my parents the money for the vet bill- which they are legally not required to do).

So there are a alot of factors to consider about insurance- but if you try it for a year- you can see if your bunny is prone to having a sensitive stomach (which is not genetic) or other health issues that will be covered by insurance.

I work at a vet clinic with moderately experienced rabbit vet- but she flat out told me that if Cotton ever gets extremely ill or needs extensive dental work that she would refer me to an exptics vet about 45 minutes away.  And understand and respect that- so I got insurance!

Julie

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Pet Insurance