Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A permanent hair loss 2009 vet checked

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnytowne
      Participant
      7537 posts Send Private Message

Has anyone ever heard of this?  

Cotton since 2009 has had some hair loss its symmetrical.  Around his cheeks.  His ears.  The back of his neck/shouleders. 

The vet checked him in 2009 and again 2014.  Its not getting worse.  Except for once when he was stressed.  He was checked for mites, and all the other stuff vets check for I forget what all.  A scraping was done.  I spent a lot of $ for all the tests.  Thats ok I am not complaining of course.  Everything came back negative.  

Conclusion.  An endocrine disorder.   Possibly thyroid.  Since there is no documented records of normal thyroid or endocrine levels in a rabbit its not treatable at this time.  Thats the only thing the vets can figure.  Every year when he goes in to get his yearly checkup photos are taken for his file to do a comparison to see if its getting worse or not.  If it was a fungus it would be way worse by now.  so we doubt its that.  I mean by 8 years later he would have been bald by now.   I dont want to go thru the stress of a lye dye I think its called to kill fungus.  His skin is healthy pink not scaly.  HE doesn’t scratch at the bald spots it doesn’t appear to bother him at all.  

Now I do know  old timers here may remember his bout with bunny treponematosis.  Took a year and I thought at the end thats what it was but  1 vet said no no no blah blah blah.  Well I waited.  Then took him back for more cream for his lip then a different vet saw him and said ok lets try this for treponematosis.  And it was cured.  So I wonder if it could be from that.  Towards the end of the problem some hair started to fall out in these areas.  

I dont know.  The hair loss isnt due to treponematosis that is not a symptom of it.  Cotton has always gotten weird stuff.  Always.  These 2 conditions are weird for him.  lol.  Otherwise he is a normal healthy little fellow. 

The vet and I aren’t too worried about the hair loss since its not spreading and over all he looks healthy and the skin looks healthy. Its not bothering him.  IT doesn’t bother me that its there.  Well I wish hair was there it would look better but to me thats not a reason not to love and pet and care for and spoil him.  

• Azerane
        4688 posts Send Private Message

That’s a very peculiar condition. Although I don’t know a great deal about thyroid problems in rabbits, I do know that hair loss can be symptoms of them, the same with certain cancers too. It’s good that your vet takes yearly pictures of the bald patches to check to see if it’s consistent. I’m not sure what else to suggest otherwise. If it’s not bothersome and there doesn’t seem to be other issues there’s not much more you can do I don’t think.

• LBJ10
          16870 posts Send Private Message

Yes, symmetrical hair loss in those areas always makes me worry about thymoma. Although hormone disorders are rare, they can occur in rabbits. I remember reading something about adrenal problems in neutered males may cause hair loss? Where did I see that?

• jerseygirl
            22338 posts Send Private Message

Cotton certainly likes to throw up some mysterious symptoms doesn’t he! I remember well the time with his lip scabs & the Treponematosis. (Old timer here *waves* lol)
              We’ve referred to his case a bit on the forums since.

Are you still able to see the vet that finally correctly diagnosed him back then?

The only thing I found that sounds similar is a small except about Alopecia Areata. There seems little information…

A condition resembling alopecia areata has been described in rabbits. Affected animals present with one or more areas of noninflammatory annular alopecia, especially on the black-furred areas of the pinna. Spontaneous recovery is accompanied with regrowth of white fur. ~Muller and Kirks Small Animal Dermatology 7th addition – William Miller Craig Griffin Karen Campbell

The only other thing I’d suspect is ringworm but it sounds as if you’ve investigated that.

• jerseygirl

Posted By LBJ10 on 1/07/2017 10:46 PM
                Yes, symmetrical hair loss in those areas always makes me worry about thymoma. Although hormone disorders are rare, they can occur in rabbits. I remember reading something about adrenal problems in neutered males may cause hair loss? Where did I see that?

I really do believe some neutered males develop imbalances in the senior years. Rumball certainly started displaying hormonal behaviours from about age 6. The adrenal connection seems a difficult thing to test for, I’m told.

• bunnytowne
                Participant
                7537 posts Send Private Message

Thank you. I will look into the thyloma. Hi jersey girl.
                  Yes his lip. And he does see the vet who correctly diagnosed him. He had already been neutered when i bought him from a pet store at 2 months old poor baby. He chose me of all the people who came in and help him. He was calm with me the staff said n fussed with others lol. Oh yes he gets some weird stuff. Thank you for your ideas n help. I had checked into apoplexa i think its spelled. I scourex the internet a few years back on his issue. Didnt find much except mites etc. If it was ringworm he would be in terfible shape by now. Or cancer. He has had this since 09. 8 years now

• jerseygirl

Just premature balding then, BT.
                    Not to worry, we know how gorgeous he is.

Love the new avatar!

• LBJ10
                    16870 posts Send Private Message

If it’s been going on for this long, it would suggest (at least to me) that is could be hormone-related.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A permanent hair loss 2009 vet checked