Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A peeing on bed

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • jamiec
      Participant
      10 posts Send Private Message

ok so my mini flop is always so well behaved. she has only ever pooped and peed in her litter box since i got her…until now :-(  she recently learned how to jump on my bed, at first it was cute because she was cuddling with me and being super sweet, but then she started peeing on my bed! I dont know if its the fabric or what but i was hoping somoene would be able to tell me ways that i could teach her to not pee on my bed? I like having her up on my bed but the peeing is becoming ridiculous.

any help please??

• Cassi&Charlie
        Participant
        1260 posts Send Private Message

I had the same problem with my bunny when he found the bed for the first time. He peed on it continuously and eventually we just had to ban him from the bed. Strangely, after we had him neutered he stopped. I think for my bunny it was territorial, he wanted to claim the bed as his own and was thwarted because everytime he peed, we’d wash all the bedding and the smell would go away, therefore he had to start from scratch again. You could watch her constantly and everytime she puts her little tail up and gets that faraway look shoo her to her littertray. I had to find other places to love my bun cause washing bedding shouldn’t be a daily occurence.

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Oh dear. Beds, sofas and easy chairs are prime targets for bunny pee. The reason being that they carry our human scent the heaviest and rabbits love to mark their territory and assert their dominanace and try to be top bunny instead of their human slave.

There are a few things that you can do like catch flop in the act and shoo her off of the bed and/or nudge her to the potty box. Some rabbits are O.K. with jumping up on the bed and have a hard time with the down part and so are afraid to jump down to go use the potty box. I would say about 85-90% of the time a rabbit owner needs to cut off access from the bed. Some ideas are to place a plastic sheet on the bed (a shower curtain or garbage bag works too), close the door to the room, put a gate accross the door or construct an x-pen around the bed.

I hope this helps your cause!

• kralspace
            Participant
            2663 posts Send Private Message

This is going to sound gross………when Pringles first learned to hop on the bed, she peed big time, I kept washing, she kept peeing, if I wouldn’t let her on the bed, she’d pee around it.

My son was gone for a week and I put a cheap tablecloth with a plastic backing over the bed and she went to town on it. I had been reading where she was claiming it so I left that nasty thing on the bed all week and slept in my son’t room. After 4 or 5 days I noticed there were far less wet places and by the weekend she’d quit.

Sunday I chucked that nasty thing in the trash (tablecloth not Pringles) washed all my bedding even though it had stayed clean under that thing and she hasn’t peed up there since.

I don’t know if she thought she’d made her point or simply got tired of watering the bed, but she’s not peed in my bedroom since, except in the litter box in the corner.

I wouldn’t recommend it except as a last resort, if you have a wicked princess diva bunny that just won’t take no for an answer.

Kathy-glad-that-tablecloth-is-gone

I added this edit after reading Scarlet Roses post, I had originally put the plastice tablecloth on the bed because I thought it would deter her from jumping up, not to create a soft bathroom for her…..lol

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

i ditto what Scarlet said. the bed smells like you, so she is going to mark it the heaviest.

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

it’s a real challenge to convince a bunny to not pee on the bed! I personally have turned my bed into a bunny free zone for that very reason. I’d second the shower curtain idea – since they’re very inexpensive and really work.

• Lightchick
                  Participant
                  1017 posts Send Private Message
                    Posted By kralspace on 07/09/2008 7:40 PM

“Sunday I chucked that nasty thing in the trash (tablecloth not Pringles) washed all my bedding even though it had stayed clean under that thing and she hasn’t peed up there since. “

LOL!! 

Kralspace, your descriptions of the lovely Pringles crack me up!  I think Pringles gets to be the supreme Queen Diva…Lizzy will have to be satisfied with being a mere Duchess of Diva-ness!  Lizzy is actually quite the little priss about her litter box, thank goodness!  I can take her anywhere, and she knows her litter box even in an unfamiliar environment, and will radar back to it, to do her buisness, or to say, “I’m in my box!  I’m safe!  You can’t pick on me here!”  When boyfriend is too lazy about getting up on weekends, he gets a flying furball flopped onto him.  She thinks it is great fun to dig at him trying to get under the covers!  I’m quite spoilt in this regard…

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant

Kralspace, it’s good to know the varied results with different methods. Most un-diva-like rabbits do not like the feel of the plastic or the crunch of it and so jump immediately off of it, it could also be that you need a really slick-surface plastic as I think most tableclothes are textured and buns can get more traction on it.

• kralspace
                      Participant

I know Scarlet rose, that’s why I was so suprised that she could even jump up there with the table cloth, because it was really slick and hung over the sides. I saw her jump a few times and realized that she doesnt’ jump up the side, she simply stands back and jumps higher than the bed and lands well into it on the top. It’s kinda hard to explain, all the other buns kinda jump/climb the sides. if that makes any sense.

My horse would jump like that too, standing back from the jump and it was the heck of a jolt when you land…lol

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant

Oh, Kralspace you have one very unique, very Queen-Diva bun on your hands, that’s for certain. I think she was very, very determined.

• MooBunnay
                          Participant
                          3087 posts Send Private Message

I also had two determined bunnies that ended up peeing on my shower curtain covering my bed – so when that stopped working, we had to ex-pen off the bed area. Then, once I did that I realized that my husband and I are in fact the ones living in the cage! (and one that would not even be big enough by bunnies standards, it is definitely not a cage 3x our length

• Scarlet_Rose
                            Participant

Moobunnay I think you just uncovered an ultra-top secret bunny underground ploy to cage the humans and take over the world!

• kralspace
                              Participant

that’s the way I feel sometimes too……now, if the buns would just contribute to the electric bill for their 80 percent of the house…lol

• Scarlet_Rose
                                Participant

LOL Kralspace! I definately hear you there, heck I would just settle for them cleaning it up!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A peeing on bed