Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pee Pee stains on white fur

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Desma
      Participant
      182 posts Send Private Message

I have even tried to use a trimmer to take off the fur that is stained on Hunny’s bottom end to get out the pee stains around her rear end. Is there any kind of soap that works or do we just have to overlook it?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

The first step is figuring out what happened that caused the pee stains. Is she sick, or was she just sitting in pee? Address any issues. After that, make sure the fur is clean, no urine or poop stuck on her. A warm water “butt bath” is sufficient for this, there is no need for pet shampoos or anything. Your vet may be able to shave her down a little bit in that area. Don’t do it yourself since rabbit fur is so delicate and very easily nicked. As far as staining, you’ll probably just have to wait a couple shed cycles (a few months) for all the yellow fur to come out and new white fur to grow back in. This is a common thing to happen with white rabbits, usually on the bottoms of their back feet if they are standing in urine or playing outside in dirt.

• feeona
          Participant
          96 posts Send Private Message

i have a white giant and he is a free range house bun . he has a large kennel with a litter tray in in and sometimes if he misses the tray and it goes on the floor of the kennel i know straight away cause his little bum and feet are a orangy red colour. first i get down and clean the kennel cause when i clean him he’ll then go straight for the kennel very offended i touched his bum lol . then i get some sensitive baby wipes (i have a 3 year old) and get the excess off him but it wont take the colour out but i find by the end of the day he has cleaned himself and the colour is gone.
            hope this helps i dont know a massive deal about rabbits

• KatnipCrzy
            Participant
            2981 posts Send Private Message

It is not uncommon for bunnies to get their feet stained from urine or even from hay (digging on it in the litterbox) and as long as the bunny is healthy I would not worry about any staining.  You can try ways to prevent it such as a grated litterbox to keep feet off of soiled litter, etc.  I would never recommend trimming fur over healthy skin as the fur protects the skin- bunnies have no pads on their feet like cats and dogs do- so all that hair is for cushion.

When I got Cotton and Schroeder their feet looked yellow and yucky from being house in a “typical” rabbit cage- small, no room for litterbox, etc.  It just take awhile to grow out.  As long as it does not smell yucky- I just leave it alone until being housed differently makes a difference.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pee Pee stains on white fur