Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Pea question

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • Beka27
      Participant
      16016 posts Send Private Message

i have no idea what the difference is between a sweet pea and a snow pea.  i was just looking at the BB veggie list and it says snow peas are fine, but sweet peas are a big no-no. 

can anyone tell me why, and what the difference is?  i’m not a cook, so i never use either of them.

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

Great question! I actually was given that updated list by the health coordinator of the House Rabbit Society a few months ago, and ya know what…I have no idea. I will have to write her and ask her. I just have never given peas to my bunnies, so never even worried about which one. I’ll come back with an update!

• Beka27
          Participant

i thought i heard they could be used as a treat… but i might be wrong. i never remember which one is the wrong one, so i get neither.

• HippityHopMom
            Participant
            89 posts Send Private Message

Hope this helps:

Snap peas or sugar peas go by several names and are most often frozen or canned. They are also the ones to eat fresh, if you can get them. Snow peas are the flat ones that are used in salads and stir-fries.

Sno Pea : Contrary to popular belief, the Sno Pea does not grow in sub-zero temperatures, but instead prefers the growing conditions of Asia where it is a popular vegetable. Canada, California, Guatemala and other Central American countries also produce the Sno Pea on a large scale. Favored for its pod (which is crisp and sweet) more so than its tiny peas, the flat shape of the Sno Pea makes it easy to distinguish from other edible pea pods (like the Sugar Snap Pea). Because it is sweeter and less starchy than the green pea, the Sno Pea is often enjoyed raw and needs little cooking. Perfect for a quick stir-fry or blanched and tossed in salads, the Sno Pea combines well with a variety of Asian mushrooms and is excellent in many Thai and Pacific Rim dishes as well.

Note: My brother loves Asian dishes and he grows Sno Peas here in the U.S. (in Georgia)

• Beka27
              Participant

^^^thanks. that’s interesting. so the sugar pea are like teh regular round peas in the pod… the snow peas are the stir fry ones.

• HippityHopMom
                Participant

Yes … that is correct.

And I got this from the internet …. Nutrition Facts for a 1/2 cup of sno peas:

• Nutrition Facts

• Serving Size 1/2 cup (72g)
                  • Servings Per Container
                  • Amount Per Serving
                  • Calories 30 Calories from Fat 0
                  • % Daily Value*
                  • 0%Total Fat 0g
                  • 0%Saturated Fat 0g
                  • 0% Cholesterol 0mg
                  • 0%Sodium 0mg
                  • 2%Total Carbohydrate 5g
                  • 7%Fiber 2g
                  • Sugars (Not Available)
                  • Protein2g
                  • 2%Vitamin A
                  • 70%Vitamin C
                  • 2%Calcium
                  • 8%Iron
                  • * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie di

• HippityHopMom
                  Participant

I would post a photo of the snow pea ….. but I have yet figured out how to add a photo to my messages here.

I have to read up on that.      The snow pea is the long flat pea found in Asian dishes.

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

is it wrong to say that this post totally made me want some snow peas? ha ha!

• osprey
                      Participant
                      2065 posts Send Private Message

It may be regional too.  In California, Snow peas are long, flat, light green pods with insignificant seeds (peas).  Sugar or snap peas are darker green, shorter and plumper comma-shaped pods.  They contain sizeable peas, but the pod is eaten along with the peas.  English or Garden peas are dark green, large and contain large edible peas.  The pods are not edible.  I have fed my bunnies the snow pea variety, they seem to enjoy them mixed in with their salad.

I’m with you GH, Snow Peas are one of my favorite vegetables.  When I was a kid growing up in New York City, Snow Peas were an exotic Chinese vegetable that was only available at Chinese restaurants and markets in China town.  It was a huge treat to get them.  I think I’ll have to get some now and try them in a green salad.  I really like Bok Choy too, and have fed that to my bunnies as well.  They seem to like only the baby variety, which comes in really small heads.

• Jo
                        Participant
                        35 posts Send Private Message

just out of interest did it say “sugar” pea or “sweet” pea. You said sweet pea in your first post. Over here, a sweet pea is a kind of flower – very delicate and very sweet smelling. They are pretty but not good for rabbits to eat.

I’m not sure if that is what they were talking about or not but my understanding of the word “sweet pea” is a flower.

• RabbitPam
                          11002 posts Send Private Message

Here’s Sno Peas.

I also have heard of the flower Sweet Peas, as well as the Sugar Peas that are fatter and have big peas inside.

OK to eat:

142104937571.jpg

• RabbitPam

NOT OK to eat: (Flowers, Popeye’s nephew, Sugar Snap Peas)

14212897071.jpg
                              14212898554.jpg
                              14212898558.jpg

• Beka27
                              Participant

^^^^lol rabbitpam!

the BB veggie list (https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=144) said SNOW peas are good, SWEET peas are not. there was no mention of sugar peas. i guess i was thinking they were the same.

see why i’m confused…

• RabbitPam

Hi, Beka,
                                  Unfortunately the Sweet Peas go by several names, just to keep it more confusing. They are known as Sweet Peas, Sugar Peas AND Snap Peas.

The Sno (or Snow) Peas are the only name for those, and those are the good ones. Maybe when you shop, remember to only buy the peas that look like they were run over by a truck, or are in the Asian fresh food section. Or just sigh deeply and buy romaine lettuce instead!

• Beka27
                                  Participant

^^^haha! i could also think that too much “sugar” or “sweets” are a big no-no! a little name game if you will.

• kimberleyanddarren
                                    Participant
                                    2520 posts Send Private Message

i would just avoid both if u arent sure of the difference, just to be safe! i dont really know some of the things on the BB veggie list so i just try to avoid them rather than make bunny sick

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant
                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

LOL sigh deeply and buy romaine!!

• kimberleyanddarren
                                        Participant
                                        2520 posts Send Private Message

yes romaine is always a good choice lol

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Pea question