Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Passed away after choking.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • kittyjung
      Participant
      33 posts Send Private Message

It is the same routine every night. We give Chao-Guys and Penny pallets (1/8 cup) at bedtime. After a few bite, Penny ran away and started coughing. Her nose was running and saliva dropping. I could hear her wheezing and try to help her but she kept running away. Within 5-10 mins, my boyfriend and I got her into the cage and drove to the emergency vet. Penny was calm and breathing. I didn’t hear gurgle sound any more and i thought it was resolved. On the way there, Penny started moving hard and kicking. I knew something wasn’t right. She was leaving us. After a few minutes, she stopped and I knew she was gone. I did CPR all the way and it had another 7 mins to get there. The vet waited for us and he took Penny in right way. Unfortunately, nothing he could do. I was numb…it was only 20 mins when I saw her last time with so much joy. Now, I don’t know what to do with Chao-Guay. We took Penny home but Chao—Guay doesn’t know Penny was gone. We put Penny in the cage so Chao-Guay can see her. But he doesn’t seem to know. He still lays next to her and groom her.

• Bam
        16872 posts Send Private Message

I’m so very sorry this happened.

Let Chao-Guay have her with him for an hour. I think in some sense that they do know. Rabbits and other animals can groom a toy even though they know it’s not live. He will need you a lot more now for some time now. You probably don’t want to think about getting another pet now, but sometimes it’s the best thing for a bereived rabbit, to be rebonded soon.

Choking happens sometimes with rabbits. It can’t be 100% prevented. You can lower the risk some by scattering the pellets on the cage floor to slow eating down. There is a bunny Heimlich manoeuvre, very different from a human Heimlich, that you can perform if a bunny chokes on something. We have had members use it successfully in a few instances: http://rabbit.org/the-heimlich-maneuver/ In your case this would probably not have made a difference seeing that the food particle she choked on dislodged of it’s own.

Again, I’m very sorry this happened. It is horrible to lose a rabbit.

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have lost a bunny in my arms, on the way to a vet too and I understand how awful it is.  I am so sorry you had to experience that. If you are able to bring Penny back later for the vet to do a necropsy, they may be able to figure out the cause of  death.  (Even then sometimes it leaves more questions than answers).   You did the right thing to let Penny’s body stay with Chao-Guay.   He will figure it out soon enough.  It so heart-wrenching to watch.   I did the same thing for our bunny Jack when we lost his bonded mate Rucy.  At first, he didn’t understand. He was happy to see her, and he groomed her and even tried to mount her for split second, but he quickly realized she was gone and stopped.  He then went off by himself and I comforted him. Each bunny is different.  Chao-Guay may take a little longer. Normally what happens when they realize, is you will find them no longer lying right next to the bunny that has crossed over.   Here is a wonderful article that is helpful for times just like this: 

https://coloradohrs.org/when-a-rabbit-loses-a-friend/

I know it’s doubly hard as you lose the bunny you love, and you watch the bonded mate feel the loss too. 

Hang in there. 

Binky Free Penny. 

• kittyjung
            Participant

I am so nervous and worried about Chao-Guay. My family (3 people) will come to visit us (my boyfriend and I) in the next 4 days and will stay with us for 3 weeks. This is the first time visit and they don’t speak English. Chao-Guay normally doesn’t have a visitor, so I am so afraid this will cause his more stress. Also, I don’t think I can find a new friend for him soon since it takes time to bond and we don’t have time for that. We have to tour my family around in these 3 weeks. In addition, we will have a party a week later after my family arrives at our house for wedding reception. I am sooo worried about Chao-Chay. He must be so stress for many people and no Penny around him. I don’t know what to do….

• Bam
              16872 posts Send Private Message

Could Chao-Guay be in a room where the visitors don’t normally go? Like your bedroom? He will need your company, so I think you should really try your best to make time for a good petting session each day, perhaps in the mornings and at night before sleep. It’s unfortunate that you are getting visitors right now, but it can’t be helped. We can only ever do what the situation allows us to. Give Chao a soft toy. I of course realize it would not be a good time to try and bond him to another rabbit, you can’t do that with three visitors from far away staying with you.

• meridiian
                Participant
                157 posts Send Private Message

This is so devastating. I’m so sorry you lost Penny and that way.

I really feel for you and Choa-Guay

The others here are giving you good advice and you are clearly a wonderful bunny parent so I’ll send you best wishes.

It will work out.

Binky free Penny. And love to (((Choa-Guay))) who is no doubt missing his companion.

• LittlePuffyTail
                  18092 posts Send Private Message

I’m so very sorry for your loss.

((((Binky Free Penny))))))

• Heather
                    Participant
                    15 posts Send Private Message

I am so very sorry

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                      Participant
                      2512 posts Send Private Message

That’s horrible, I’m sorry for your loss It was very good to let Chao-Guay see her. We can’t know how rabbits think, but seeing their bondmate one last time can help with the grief and confusion later. Wishing you all the best for the difficult time ahead!

{{Binky free sweet Penny}}

• kittyjung
                        Participant

Chao-Guay saw Penny and stayed with her the whole night. My boyfriend and I stayed in the other room and monitor him via camera. Chao-Guay walked around, laying down, and licking her all night from midnight – 7 am. It was so sad to see this! After we move Penny’s body away, Chao-Guay went to his old spot in the basement. He hides himself here the whole day.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                          Participant
                          2512 posts Send Private Message

That’s so heartbreaking I hope that you can find comfort with eachother. Rabbits can get tummy troubles when they’re upset, so make sure to check his litter box often and to monitor his food intake. He may not be eager to eat, but you can try with some treats.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Passed away after choking.