Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE PaPurr Litter?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • angoralvr
      Participant
      500 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure if any of you have seen this litter yet. I just noticed it yesterday at Petsmart and it seems interesting. Here’s a link.

http://www.accpetspecialties.com/AlternateLitter.aspx

It’s made from recycled paper. I got a bag of it because I figure if I can’t use it for the bunnies, I can use it for the cats. It really does look and feel exactly like clay litter. I’ve noticed that Lilly doesn’t really like the pelleted yesterday’s news so I would like to try this with her if it is bunny safe. I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t be since it is made from paper but I figured I would check first.

Does anyone have any experience with this litter? It does have a slight fragrance but I cannot find a list of ingredients or anything. I sent an email to the company to find out. If I don’t get a response in the next few days I will probably call them.

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

hmm interesting havent’ seen it yet. but then i haven’t been in pet store for few weeks.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I have seen this and wondered about the odor control of it since I don’t think Yesterday’s News or Carefresh have good odor control. I would imagine if it’s not clay it should be fine. Have you tried any wood pellet type litters? I think you would be happier with those – don’t know how Lilly would feel though.

• angoralvr
            Participant

When I first got Henri I was using the wood pellets. I think they work fairly well but I am thinking it is the texture of the litter that she doesn’t like. I would think that this stuff would potentially make the boxes easier to clean too as it clumps so the wet stuff can be scooped out pretty easily and the clean litter will actually fall through the scoop unlike yesterday’s news.

• RascalnBinks
              Participant
              53 posts Send Private Message

I thought clumping litter was not good for bunnies. In case they ate it i mean. I use something called Woody Pet. Its a wood type pellet. Works great! I use it for my buns,pigs and cats!

• Sarita
                Participant

I’m not sure about the clumping either – I think I would steer away from anything that clumps myself. I know it’s not clay but it clumps and I’m not sure about impaction if she should happen to eat this stuff. I’m not certain it would be a problem, but well, I just don’t know.

• angoralvr
                  Participant

I didn’t even think about the clumping thing but honestly, I tried it for the cats and it doesn’t really clump.

I just don’t know what I can get her to use. She does not like any of the pelleted type litters for some reason and won’t even go into the box if it has one of those in it. I had to figure out a better way to deal with the cat’s litter boxes though when she first came home because she was determined that it was her litter box. I made the cats a new box (literally, I made one out of a rubbermaid that I put a hole in the top of so the cats can get in but Lilly can’t) and put hers where theirs used to be and now she is going right by the box. I really think she just doesn’t like the rough pelleted litters.

I think I’m going to call my vet and see if she knows anything about it.

Knowing that I can’t use carefresh because it would stick to her horribly, can you guys suggest any other soft bunny safe litters?

• Sarita
                    Participant

Can you try slowly introducing the other (your) preferred litter in her box – have you tried the Aspen shavings? I know the shavings are the preferred litter for long hair rabbits but she might use that. Then you can very slowly introduce the other litter.

I know that the pelleted litter is hard for some rabbits to use because they don’t feel like they can get their balance on it.

Another good one to try if you can get it is Cellsorb but I notice on Leith Petwerks they have an alternative that is just like Cellsorb called Crowne Animal Bedding that they say is cheaper and they like better. I sometimes see Cellsorb in the small animal litter section at Petsmart.

• angoralvr
                      Participant

I haven’t tried the shavings because I assumed they would stick to her. I guess they might not but it seems everything sticks to them, that’s why I call them my velcro bunnies, lol.

I’ve tried cellsorb- I actually used it for Henri before I switched over to yesterdays news. I’m not really even sure why I switched over other then I can always find the yesterdays news and I can’t always find the cellsorb.

I never even thought about the balance thing. . . . I don’t have that plastic grid stuff over the litter, do you think if I added that it would help with the balance thing?

• Sarita
                        Participant

Actually I meant the shavings are not the preferred litter for reasons you stated – it sticks to the fur. I love that you call them velcro bunnies – that’s cute.

I agree cellsorb is more difficult to find but it’s more flat unlike the Yesterday’s News.

Maybe you could try the plastic grid to see if that will work for her – it’s worth a try.

• angoralvr
                          Participant

Oh, that makes sense!!! I know that at the last home she was in, they had her in the carefresh stuff which REALLY stuck to her bad. Maybe the shavings wouldn’t be quite so bad.

I think I will try the grid thing first and if that doesn’t work maybe I will just have to add some of the soft stuff for a while like you suggested.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE PaPurr Litter?