Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Papaya and Petromalt

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • RabbitPam
      11002 posts Send Private Message

Leaders, a few questions:

I have planned to give a Papaya tablet once a day based on what I’ve read here. Are they preventative only, or do they treat ingested fur and should be given when you see pearls?

Also: I used to use an inch of Petromalt or Laxatone (for cats was the safest kind for bunnies at the time) to treat furry poops, especially at shedding time. He lapped it up and it cleared him up within one feeding cycle. But I thought I read somewhere here that it is no longer being recommended. Is that true? He seemed to benefit from it, but is there something new that works as well and is better for bunnies? Thanks.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

Hey Rabbitpam…hope you don’t mind we have a new option to split topics if a thread goes in another direction…I figured your questions deserved a seperate thread

Anyways, as far as I know and I’ve read, petromalt is an ‘old school’ treatment for hairballs, but I don’t think there is anything wrong with giving it…However I’ve read it should NOT be given when they are already in stasis or blocked up-ONLY as prevention.

I’d say the Papaya tablets are prevention as well. Giving one would probably be the same as giving pineapple juice in a stasis emergency…doesn’t do much REALLY should see a vet…

But, feel free to jump in experts !!

• Bunnies4ever
          Participant
          368 posts Send Private Message

Having two long-haired bunnies, I am a firm believer in petromalt. Like KK says, it’s only to be used as a preventative not for when they are in statsis. It works and keeps me from worrying too much especially when they are in a heavy molt. Some owners don’t believe in petromalt or use it. It depends on how you feel about it.

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

k&k,
              This is cool. I did a classic double take just now when I saw a post from myself!

Petromalt: I’m glad it’s not considered bad for them now. I definitely used it at early signs of ingested hair, or when shedding started. Am looking forward to effective Papaya Tablets instead – maybe P.malt will no longer be necessary.

BTW: Boston’s mummy asked “What is stasis?” on another thread, so I’ll start a new post for that question, since I need an education as well.

Thanks

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

This is a good article from a vet on “hairballs” in rabbits that I think should help you.

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

Papaya tablets are a source of nay-sayers and those that beleive they work. I am one that does believe they work. If anything they are a treat for your rabbit. The thought for them is that the enzymes in the papaya help to break down the mucous that binds the fur together that cause a “hair ball” and poop to string together like pearls.

Petromalt is an old-school type treatment, I don’t give it my two, but it can be considered a treat as well. It does have a lot of sugar, but so do some papaya tablets.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Papaya and Petromalt