Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pain meds?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLiz
      Participant
      1212 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys im back from Hammers neuter. I had asked for pain meds over the phone but when i went to pick him up and asked where my pain meds were they said they do not usually give them to bunnies.. i insisted and he got a pain shot in the end. The tech kept saying (to my mom by the way lol, the tech didnt get that i was the one asking and answer questions!) that its better for them to not have them because of their systems, not even with spays! I tried and said if he is in pain he wont eat which is a huge problem but she still stuck with no meds. Is she right? I thought they always got pain meds to go home on… they said they saw him munch on some hay and hopping  but he wont eat anything.. not greens.. not hand fed either. If he isnt eating by tonight that place will be hand delivering hammer his meds lol. I got some critical care just to keep on hand. All together it was only $135, so that was pretty good. I havent checked his behind area yet, im waiting till he is comfortable again. He is in his willow tent in the bunloaf.. my poor sweet baby Anyways should he have been given pain meds?

• BunnyLiz
        Participant

O and he is a whole 4 pounds! He grew up so fast! He used to be so tiny…. where did the time go..

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

some places don’t give them. it’s not as big of a deal with a neuter, but with a spay they should def be giving them. i mean, that’s *cutting* your stomach open. ouch. i am still so impressed with your ability to stand up for your bun. you do such a great job with him!

• MarkBun
            Participant
            2842 posts Send Private Message

Is your bun grinding his teeth? If he is, he’s in pain and should have the meds. I think though you should give him a little time to recover from the surgery. I mean, he’s still a bit disoriented about what happened.

At least I know I would be.

• osprey
              Participant
              2065 posts Send Private Message

We get lots of bunnies neutered at The Haven, and we do not routinely administer pain medications for this procedure. Most of the time, the meds that are given as part of the procedure are enough to get the bunny over the hump and back to normal. It also takes 12-24 hours to recover from the anesthesia, so give it a little time. As Markus says, teeth grinding is a sign of pain, as is hiding and sitting in a hunched position. After about 24 hours, check the incision to make sure that there is no infection (look for redness, swelling and/or oozing as signs of infection). If he’s not eating on his own after 24 hours, go ahead and give him some Critical Care. Usually, you can trick a bunny into eating a little bit by slipping some yummy greens stem first into their mouths just past their front teeth (parsley and cilantro are particularly good for this).

Let us know how he is doing!

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

Way to advocate for the Lil’ Hammer.  I think that Leo was a bunny loaf post neuter as well.  Jessica really convinced him to eat…it was very cute.  She pulled veggies out of the bowl for her and him and he muched right along w/ her.

• BunnyLiz
                  Participant

No teeth grinding, yay! He is very upset with me though. He wont let me pet him let alone cuddle with him. If i reach to pet him he pulls away.. ive stopped trying for now. Ill try again in a few hours i guess he’ll come around.

• MimzMum
                    Participant
                    8029 posts Send Private Message

I think Lightchick had the same problem with Robbie after his neuter, he kind of blew her off for a few days or so. Can you blame them? I would be a little miffed with anyone involved in messing with my family jewels if I were in that position. ^_^
                      Don’t take it personally though, Liz, he is going to have to adjust to his hormones decreasing and, from personal experience, it’s not always the most fun time in life. But he will become a sweeter bun eventually and he’ll remember you with love.
                      Mimzy got no pain meds at his neuter. I would guess it’s not as invasive a surgery as a spay, so they don’t really need them. He was doing pretty well within the week after his op, but all bunnies are different. He’s my lovable little puffball now though! ^_^

• BunnyLiz
                      Participant

He came out of his tent and sat at his door. I offered his greens and he ate fairly well for a post neuter bun. After he had his fill he laid his head down for grooming! Yay ive been forgiven!

• Balefulregards
                        Participant
                        715 posts Send Private Message

WOW! That was fast forgiveness! I had the bunny back for nearly a week after Coco’s spay!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

They don’t *NEED* them, in fact alot of barn animals get the surgery with no anestetic or pain meds (yuck)…Spays it’s pretty essential-a much bigger surgery. He should be fine but keep an eye, and don’t feel too bad getting the bunny butt for the next few days!

• BinkyBunny
                            8776 posts Send Private Message

Yeah, sounds like his appetite is no longer hindered!

• Alicia Conklin
                              Participant
                              721 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad he seems to be feeling better!

After my Elphie (pug) was spayed they gave her pain meds but she didn’t seem to be in ANY pain.  (They gave her pain meds in a shot like they did for Hammer) and that was after a spay!  I ended up giving her the pain meds for the first few days anyway mainly because I needed her sedated slightly so that she wouldn’t wrestle and jump and play and end up pulling out the stitches or that glue stuff.  If I gave her the pain meds she’d relax and rest but without them she was like super hyper crazy dog.

• Sarita
                                Participant
                                18851 posts Send Private Message

Glad he’s better. I don’t agree w/the barn yard animals getting neutered without pain meds and anaesthesia even though I know it’s done. Let’s face it, this has got to be painful if it’s done awake…

They DO give the rabbits pain meds for the surgery (even the neuters) but don’t necessarily give them for their recovery.

• kralspace
                                  Participant
                                  2663 posts Send Private Message

Yikes! No meds! Both my male colts were put totally out for their castrations and I had plenty of pain meds for them for several days. I couldn’t imagine that being done to a horse with no anaesthesia.

After Dr. Irving neutered Toby and Simba, she gave them a pain shot when I picked them up that tided them over for the next 12 hours. By then they were doing fine. The first few days after Pringles spay, she really, really needed those meds, I could tell if I was an hour or 2 late giving them. Day six, she was up and going, by day 7 I couldn’t catch her to give it…lol

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                    Participant
                                    12067 posts Send Private Message

^^ Horses generally get good care for geldings (neuters for non-horsies ) but cows, goats, etc etc…well usually…not so good

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pain meds?