Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums DIET & CARE Oxbow Digestive Support

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bonnie_bunny
    Participant

I’ve noticed recently that Gizmo tends to be an over groomer. I do my best to brush him, but I’ve considered giving him the Oxbow Digestive Supplements. I have two questions:

Do people actually think they help?

The package says that rabbits over 4 lbs should get two tabs per day. Gizmo is 11 lbs. Should he still get two tabs despite being almost three times the weight?

Thanks!

Bunny House
    Participant

I personally think it’s kinda like vitamins, people don’t need them unless they aren’t taking in the nutrients they need from food. I’m pretty sure they don’t have papaya in them which Sherwood has gi tablets with them and I know that fruit really helps. It may help if he’s having some hair clumped poop but I kinda feel like it is a scam but I know some people it works for their buns but didn’t work for mine. Lint rolling your bun is such a good way to get the hair out, just don’t push too hard on them. I would stick to the directions as too much of something in it if you take 3 times it could potentially cause some gi issues, so stick to the two a day.

DanaNM

I’ve given those digestive support treats before, but for a bun that was dealing with episodes of stasis, gas, and cecal imbalance. I don’t know if they helped, but they were a good measure of how he was feeling (he loved them, so if he turned one down, I knew he was about to take a downturn).

Pushing lots of fiber and moisture is the best thing for keeping the gut moving. So high fiber veggies (like dandelions and carrot tops), served dripping wet, are a good option for molting buns (all buns really….). And of course hay and lots of brushing by you.

I do feed my buns the joint support treats and they like them. I think they help their old joints. My biggest bun is 9 lbs, but I only give her one a day, as she was getting some excess cecals with 2.

Q8bunny
    Participant

I swear by the Sherwood supplements. The Oxbow papaya tabs are also well formulated (not sure if that’s what you have), but I find that during moult periods, well-washed pineapple skin (or even a bit of core) is very effective.

JackRabbit
    Participant

One of my buns gets the Sherwood digestive tabs as a “treat”. IMO, the Oxbow tabs are fine as long as you view them as a treat but the tabs are hard as a rock! My bunnies like them and I used to give them as treats but it takes a hammer to break them!

DanaNM

Omg yes they are so hard!

Bertha didn’t like them at first, I had to soak them in water and mix them in a bit of critical care. Then i started just breaking them up, and now that she knows what they taste like she takes a whole one from me and runs away!

Q8bunny
    Participant

What is it with buns snatching treats and running off?! I mean, WE are the ones who gave them the treat in the first place. lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.