Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Oxbow digestive support tabs alternative

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ginger&Seal
      Participant
      73 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone, I was given the oxbow digestive support tabs by my vet as like an extra support but i heard bad things about it based on the ingredients. I was wondering what’s another alternative.

• Wick & Fable
        5771 posts Send Private Message

The Oxbow Digestive Support tabs are perfectly fine — like many other commercial-made goodies for rabbits, they may contain ingredients that, in large quantities would not be great, but in small amounts as designed by good-quality companies like Oxbow, they rarely bring about issues in rabbits.

For what reason specifically were these recommended? That could better guide substitutes.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
          Participant
          300 posts Send Private Message

The oxbow digestive tabs would be fine but if you don’t want to use them I know Sherwood makes digestive support tablets.

• Ginger&Seal
            Participant

I was given it because my bunny went through GI and I took him to the vet and they were like use this as a prebiotic or probiotic I don’t remember lol. But I realize he was getting GI because of stress so I moved him to another area so far so good.

• Ginger&Seal
              Participant

Another question, would it be too much if I gave one once a day like the recommended amount in the back of the packaging.

• Wick & Fable
                5771 posts Send Private Message

OK. Indeed, the digestive support treats are not medicine to cure anything, but some people have found improvements with it (and it’s a ‘healthier’ treat compared to others). It is safe to use as long as you’re in the recommended feeding guidelines (I usually always do less though), if you decide to try it.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
                  8901 posts Send Private Message

Some buns are sensitive to various ingredients, so if you’re concerned that might be the case, you could give a small piece to start and see how he responds. It would be “safe” to give the amount recommended based on your bun’s weight, but you could always start with less to be safe. Some bunnies have a bit of an adjustment period with any new food.

I’ve given my buns the “joint support” tabs from Oxbow for years and they have never had any issues. I usually stick to only 1 tab or half a tab though, even though some of my rabbits could technically have 2 per day, just because I don’t like to give them too many treats.

If you wanted to try a pro-biotic, Bene-bac (in the gel form) is pretty widely used with rabbits and many people have had success with it.

Of course the most important thing for the gut biota is for the bun to eat plenty of hay and drink plenty of water. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                    Participant

I would only do one per day if your bun has problems with it there is also oxbow digestive support tabs you could try.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                      Participant

Whoops, I meant oxbow papaya tablets.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Oxbow digestive support tabs alternative