Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Overreacting or not?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLass568
      Participant
      434 posts Send Private Message

Sorry for posting so much on here but I do need a bit of advice once again! 

Lately Thumper and Blossom have been sneezing a lot but my family says they probably got some dust stuck in their nose but today I noticed that around Thumper’s nose there seemed to be a slight green color around the nostrils. I’ve been keeping an eye on the both of them and they haven’t sneezed since 11 am yesterday (currently it’s 12, almost 1 am for me the next day) but while changing/cleaning their water bowl there were some misshapen poop, they’re still small poops but they look almost like eggs or round at the bottom and rather sharply pointy near the top (Sorry, I don’t have any pictures, I’m using my mom’s tablet) yet we didn’t change anything in their diet and I don’t know who’s poop it is. I also notice that on really hot (though we do have 2 or 3 AC’s running at the same time, depending on how hot it is) or cool rainy days they tend to sleep more and not eat or drink as much. I read that for hot days it’s normal for them to sleep more but it does have me concerned a bit. They are shedding but I’m not sure if that has to do with anything or not? I would like to take them to the vet but I don’t know if I’m simply overreacting/being overly paranoid or not since I’m a new bunny mom. What do you guys suggest?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Current: Blossom and Thumper (5 year old buns)💖💖💖💖 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, 2-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, 9-14-2020), and Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, 8-3-2022) 💔💔💔💔

• kurottabun
        Participant
        908 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s safest to get them to a vet. It could be an upper respiratory infection, and that would require some medication to clear.

• Wick & Fable
          5771 posts Send Private Message

Green discharge is a sign of bacterial infection in a lot of cases. It’s not necessarily something that would show up in poop or other health behaviors. Like when humans have a cold, we still can usually eat, but we are generally weaker and annoyed. Unlike humans though, if a rabbit is getting worse rather than better, it needs medicine to get better. It means the bacterial infection is one your rabbit’s immune system can’t fight off on it’s own, so it will only get worse.

I agree with kurotta that you should go to the vet. The earlier treatment begins, the better. If they’re shedding right now, it could be the shedding stressed them out, weakening their immune systems, and made them develop the URI.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Bam
            16838 posts Send Private Message

What did the green around the nostrils look like? Some greens stain light fur.

How often would you say they e been sneezing (rough estimate)?

It’s perfectly normal for buns to not do much when it’s hot. Dogs don’t do much either in hot weather. Neither do I, come to think of it.

• BunnyLass568
              Participant

@Bam: It looked kind of like a light mucus green color and as for a rough estimate about 4-6 times a day (usually early in the morning though it does happen in the afternoon (not too often, however somtimes they sneeze an extra 3 or 4, sometimes 5 times in the afternoon) as well). It’s been like this for about 4 days now I think? And ok, good, so I guess I got worried over the heat part for nothing. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Current: Blossom and Thumper (5 year old buns)💖💖💖💖 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, 2-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, 9-14-2020), and Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, 8-3-2022) 💔💔💔💔

• Bam
                16838 posts Send Private Message

If you do think it’s snot, I think you should call a vet. Green snot and frequent sneezes are signs of a respiratory infection in buns. They don’t really get green snot from just getting dust in their noses.

A respiratory infection should be treated as soon as possible to prevent it from spreading. A week -10 days of antibiotics is commonly prescribed.

• BunnyLass568
                  Participant

I asked my mom if she could call the vet (I don’t know thier number) as soon as I seen so many people saying to go/call the vet and see what they say but she said to wait it out and see. 

• kurottabun
                    Participant
                    908 posts Send Private Message

How’s Thumper and Blossom doing? Are they still having green snot in their noses and is the poop still weirdly shaped? It’s been about 5 days since you posted so that’s quite a delay already. Are you able to google for rabbit savvy vets in the area? They normally list the phone number on google if you search for it.

• LBJ10
                      16870 posts Send Private Message

Hay dust can cause green around the nostrils, particularly if there is condensation. If it’s green snot though, then that is a cause for concern. This isn’t going to be 100% of upper respiratory infections, but a dead giveaway that they have true snot is the sides of the paws. If they have hard clumped fur on the inner side of their paws, then that suggests that it’s snot. When bunnies are bothered by a nasal discharge, they will wipe their nose with their paw.

• BunnyLass568
                        Participant

@kurrottabun: They’re doing a bit better, they’re eating more (to the point where I have to refill their hay rack at least once a day) and drinking their usual ammount but they still are sneezing quite a bit and I have been finding more misshappen poop and I tried but I didn’t know which link was the correct one to click on

• BunnyLass568
                          Participant

@LBJ10: Ah, I see! I’ve seen Thumper lick their nose a lot but cleaned their nose with their paws very little and I checked their paws and there wasn’t any clumped fur, at least not from what I could see. 

• BunnyLass568
                            Participant

An update: I guess I was just overreacting/b3ing paranoid, I’m sorry. They’re both still sneezing but it’s less frequent now, only 2 maybe 3 times in the early mornings and the green around Thumper’s nose has faded and I found out that my dad has been sneaking in some fresh grass and clovers. What I find weird is that it was only Thumper’s nose that was stained but I digress. Thank you everyone for your guidence, advice and just helping me with all of this. Again I’m sorry for being paranoid and involving you all and again thank you.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Overreacting or not?