Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Overnight vet stays and sick bunny

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • belleandferdinand
      Participant
      50 posts Send Private Message

I took Belle to the ER on Friday at noon as she seemed to be having another bout of stasis (she’d eaten dinner but not breakfast and was clearly in pain). They admitted her immediately as her temp was super low (94F). The vet is still running tests and has consulted with my main bunny vet Dr Scheenstra on treatment, so I know she’s in good hands and she’s perked up a bit (temp is normal, she is having fluids, critical care etc)  but still isn’t well enough to come home.  Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had experienced the same sort of long treatment.. the last time Belle had stasis she was in and out and pooping after meds a few hours later, so I’m super concerned.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes it can take awhile with stasis – I’ve had a rabbit that took 1 week to get back to normal. You will still want to continue with the motility drugs too once she does start eating again. Have they determined though that this is indeed stasis? Maybe it is due to something else? What has the vet said.

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

I have not experienced that myself before, but it might also just depend on the vet’s personal preference on how long to keep a bunny, where one vet might think a bunny is good to go home, another might be more cautious and want to keep the bunny a bit longer. I hope Belle is feeling better soon!

• belleandferdinand
            Participant

They definitely know it is stasis, but are not sure why – she’s had the snuffles on and off and has been on antibiotics. Thanks for the tip on the drugs.. fingers crossed I get some good news today.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Is your bun shedding a lot? Sometimes that can cause a bout when they ingest too much fur. I am definately keeping my fingers crossed. What is his diet like?

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

Niklaus had a lot of bouts with stasis due to a chronic gi condition, and sometimes it took 4 or 5 days to turn him around and he’s stay at the vet’s until he turned himself around. Later on, since the episodes continued I learned how to do much of the care at home, so he would come home instead of staying there. I would absolutely recommend going to visit him. Did you take Ferdinand in too? Most bonded pairs do better if they’re together, so it might be a good idea to ask the vet if you can bring him in to keep her company.

The vet we were seeing at the time wouldn’t let a bunny go home until they were eating and pooping on their own.  Sending lots of wishes for Belle to be feeling MUCH better and hope she’ll come home soon.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Never had a vet episode yet… *knock on wood*

*HUGE healing vibes*

Keep us posted!

• belleandferdinand
                    Participant

Belle is back home and eating a bit, but the blood work shows she has a kidney problem… so I’m onto injecting her with fluids twice daily (wish me luck with that one..) and more blood work this weekend. Thanks for all the positive messages and I’ll post a sep q on kidney problems…

• jellyrose
                      Participant
                      111 posts Send Private Message

Poor Belle! I hope she is well again soon. The kidney problem could be because of the dehydration from the stasis and if so should correct easily with some extra fluid! In people they call it pre-renal failure as it is almost always reversible. Did your vet tell you to avoid giving foods high in potassium like bananas and oranges? If she has a kidney problem she wont be able to get rid of the potassium properly.
                        Keep us updated! Good luck with the fluid injections!

Healing vibes and nose rubs to Belle!

• belleandferdinand
                        Participant

Thanks! I wasn’t told to avoid bananas….. and she’s had a few small slices as thats the easiest way to get her to take the antiobiotics (raspberry flavoured). I’ll try to just squirt the raspberry in her mouth – now she’s eating again normally she won’t miss the banana!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Overnight vet stays and sick bunny