Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums DIET & CARE Outside adventures

This topic contains 7sd replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kiki 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Kiki
    Participant

Many, many years ago I had an outdoor bun – she got let out in the yard everyday to eat and play.  

Now I have Indie the indoor wonder bun, what are the pit falls of taking her outside? Do I take the change of her getting exposed to bad things if she is in the grass at my mom’s house.  I mean honestly, with my first 2 buns I had no idea about all these things, like stasis etc.  I think I just got lucky because they both lived to be around 7 years old being outside buns, in a hutch etc.  

I think indie would like to play outside but I don’t want to get her sick

LittlePuffyTail

There are a few concerns with bringing buns outside. First is safety. You would need a safe enclosure like a fenced yard or xpen. Most people here on BB advise against harnesses and leashes due to the danger of injury. Second, it depends on where you live whether it’s safe or not. There are deadly viruses in Europe and Australia but also have been popping up in the US and Canada. Some places have vaccinations but I would strongly advice against any outdoor play if you live in one of the dangerous areas. Bunnies can also pick up nasty things like ticks and fleas and if you ever get raccoons in your yard, their feces can contain parasites that are fatal to bunnies. Also, there is the danger of predators. Prey birds like eagles could very easily snatch up a bunny and we’ve sadly seen more than once here on the forums about dogs scaring bunnies to death by barking or chasing.

So these are all important issues to consider before deciding if outdoors is a safe option or not.

Kiki
    Participant

I have a pen with a cover. I live in an area with a lot of owls, hawks, etc so I would never allow Indie to be just free range in the yard without a pen. I also wouldn’t use a harness on her because well she’s a wiggle butt and I worry she would get hurt. I guess I will research the safe out door areas of the country and go from there

Q8bunny
    Participant

I live in southwestern Canada where we have all of the dangers listed by LPT, and yet despite feeling super paranoid, I still take Chewie out on a stretchy lead and harness weather permitting. He’s gone outside to the park or the beach since he was a baby, and I couldn’t bear to see him looking wistfully out the window just because we live in the bloody lethal north now. lol

I take what precautions I can, and make sure to always be with him and alert, and hope for the best.

Kiki
    Participant

haha, what part of ontario are you in? I am from the UP of michigan which is right on the border with Sault Ontario – which is also the great white north.   I think my hometown still has about 5 ft snowbanks, which will make driving home in 2 weeks a real treat

Q8bunny
    Participant

I’m in London. Used to have fam in Michigan as a kid, so spent quite a bit of time there and in Windsor. I still empty Chewie’s potty on top of a gigantic pile of snow that hasn’t melted yet. lol

pinknfwuffy
    Participant

This thread of winter-is-coming, oh-wait-it-never-left! life beyond the wall is hilarious.

Another thing to keep in mind is how sensitive and spoiled your rabbit is. I took Olaf out for a brief adventure in an x-pen and he couldn’t handle being in the out. Even after I brought him back in he sat under the table for hours sulking, looking all puffed-up and disgusted for having to spend a single moment touching grass. All rabbits are different. Mine is a vain indoorsman.

Kiki
    Participant

Omg that is great! That really made me smile, thank you. She is a bit of a diva

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.