Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Other rabbits

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • ilr369
      Participant
      36 posts Send Private Message

I saw a rabbit in my backyard today

Does that mean that there is a warren nearby?

Will this affect my rabbit?

• Erbear
        Participant
        155 posts Send Private Message

Is you bun an outside rabbit?

There may be some sort of group of rabbits nearby your home. If it is anything like mine, there may not be a full underground warren but there may be a few scattered here and there living under sheds and in enclosed shrubs. Radar loves watching the other rabbits outside, when they get too close to the building she starts grunting/snorting and thumping her foot. The whole apartment building is hers, apparently.

Your bun can get fleas and other things from contact with the wild buns, or even pregnant if the situation arrises. Just keep an eye on them and they should be fine. There is always a chance that they’re not truly wild buns and that they’ve just been let go by uncaring/unknowing owners. Those rabbits may be a bit bolder, and even come up to you. In that case, you can always turn them over to a rescue.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

i tried to respond to this before when the site wasn’t working… was the bun you saw a wild rabbit or a domestic one? what do you mean by if it will affect your rabbit?

• ilr369
            Participant

I have  a indoor rabbit and I think the rabbit was wild because it was brown. I’m wondering if my rabbit will be aggressive, afraid, irritated or other not so happy feelings.

• kimberleyanddarren
              Participant
              2520 posts Send Private Message

i cant see why.. unless he can smell your bun ie is in the same area as this bun but i dont think your bun will be any different as a result

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

possibly if they were both outside at the same time. i know that domestic buns can not breed with wild buns… i’m not sure if they speak the same exact “language” or if there have been variations over time.

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

it likely is a wild rabbit then, since your bun lives indoors it shouldn’t have any effect on your house bunny. also – some wild rabbits live in warrens, but other types build nests in dense brush.

• ScooterandAnnette
                    Participant
                    1090 posts Send Private Message

Please note that wild rabbits in North America are probably cottontails, and not European rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus). All domestic rabbits including pet rabbits are the latter. They cannot interbreed. If the wild rabbit looks brown with natural brownish coloring but otherwise rabbit-like in shape and proportions, it’s probably a cottontail. If it’s got longer ears or longer hind feet, it’s probably a hare, which would include jackrabbits, none of which can interbreed with European rabbits.

Having said that, there are feral populations of European rabbits in parts of North America from release of pet rabbits that have somehow survived. They are less likely in colder regions, which are cooler than the native range of the European rabbit.

I do agree that fleas and parasites can transfer between a wild rabbit and your pets, so letting them get in physical contact is not recommended.

• ilr369
                      Participant

Thanks for all your help

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Other rabbits