Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Orange/Red-ish urine??

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • GracieGirl2018
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

So I Woke up this morning and went to check on Gracie and refill her hay and I noticed that there was a little spot of what I’m pretty sure was urine. It was dried and orange-red. I’ve never seen it that color before. She’s about 5 and a half months and not yet spayed. She did have some Kaytee Timothy hay “with carrots” last night for the first time. We are switching back to Oxbow anyway because she didn’t particulatly care for the Kaytee brand but she did eat it. Could this be a cause? She also had some cabbage, green lettuce, and a little bit of parsley yesterday in combination with her young rabbit Oxbow pellets. Any ideas and should I be concerned? I will definitely be monitoring her for the next few days.

Side note – 2 days ago she had a very thick, pasty like urine. She only did it once (on my rug, of course) and then it was back to normal. I think maybe she wasn’t drinking enough? I put a bowl out rather than just the bottle and she’s seemed okay until this morning. I’ve also since decreased the amount of pellets shes gotten, as I read up on it and the younger bunny food seems to have more calcium than food for mature rabbits. Maybe it’s time to switch her over to adult pellets?

Thanks!!!

• Three Little Bunnies
        Participant
        63 posts Send Private Message

My mini lop who is 11 months old and my 3 year old Dutch had orange-ish urine for a while, and it did seem to be rather thick. I did not really worry about it because after looking it up I found this:

“For obscure reasons (my rabbits all eat the same food, drink the same water and get the same treats) some get red urine, some don’t. Red urine (due to excessive urinary pigments) may occur due to any of the following:

While on antibiotics
          At the first cold snap in the fall
          After eating fir leaves
          After eating carrots, spinach or other veggies containing beta carotene”

At the following website:
          https://rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

Hopefully this helps!

• Three Little Bunnies
          Participant
          63 posts Send Private Message

Also, she should start getting adult rabbit pellets when she is about 6 months old (depending on the breed) although I started my first bunny, Shadoe, on them earlier.

• GracieGirl2018
            Participant
            4 posts Send Private Message

Thank you!! This made me feel a lot better. Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t doing something wrong or missing something.
              Thanks again!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Orange/Red-ish urine??