Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Opinions on if my cage is big enough

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • attemptedquad
      Participant
      52 posts Send Private Message

Due to my bonded pair being tense around other rabbits in the house, I’m choosing to move them into my spare room. They are 6.5 pounds and 4 pounds. Their cage will be roughly 4.6 feetx9.3 feet, so around 43 sq feet and I’m hoping to give them free roam time in the room as well, once I get all of the cords covered and make sure they can’t chew the paint on the baseboards. I’m considering just having them roam the room if I can figure out all of the proofing. I would give them more space to roam, too, but my previously feral boy is very shy and typically will not leave the room and go into big open spaces, like my living areas. Because he won’t leave, his girl won’t stray far either. My girl is a senior and on daily metacam now for arthritis, so I figure it’s not the worst thing to limit exercise a bit for her.

It’s a downgrade from their current space, but I feel like I need to prioritize other things than space right now.

• Cinnamon Bun
        Participant
        205 posts Send Private Message

Honestly, I would have the buns free-roam the whole room. I think you could make it really cute and bun-friendly once you bunny-proof the cords, walls and baseboards etc. You can buy cable protectors at IKEA for pretty cheap, and they have transparent wall corner protectors on Amazon! ♡

(´。• ᵕ •。`) ♡

• attemptedquad
            Participant

I’m thinking I’ll probably do that. It’ll be a lot though. There’s a desk and chair that I’ll need to proof the legs on and a bookshelf with books on it. Plus the baseboard are literally 100 years old and are HUGE with a thick paint over them that I’m worried about. They aren’t really smooth and have a lot of grooves in them. I already ordered a pet gate though, so they can free roam and won’t dart out of the room. I’m not too worried about the cords as those are easier to protect.

• DanaNM
            8929 posts Send Private Message

I think that cage sounds great and they will do just fine with that plus some free-roam time in the room. 🙂

I also have a senior with arthritis and I like to keep him penned for part of the day, just so he is closer to his litter box and will rest on his soft fleece (he tends to like to sleep on slippery cold floor, which is not good for his joints!).

I think buns sometimes actually get better quality exercise when they are penned for part of the day, because then when you open the pen they go run around and explore everything! Sometimes when they have 24/7 access to a room they are less interested in it and end up just loafing around.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• attemptedquad
                Participant

Ive thought the same thing! I even have an entire floor I can pretty much dedicate to my other bunnies, but I think I’m going to keep them in about half of the level for most of the day and then let them out the other half because they get so excited to explore! I imagine its the same reason people rotate through toys- they get kind of bored of the same thing over times so they’re much more excited to check out a space they aren’t always in.

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Opinions on if my cage is big enough