Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A One or two litter boxes?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • GabbyW
      Participant
      28 posts Send Private Message

Hey all. I’ve searched the forums to see if anyone ever asked this, but I couldn’t find anything. For just my one bunny, should I have one or two litter boxes in her cage? I only ask because her bunny condo is a few stories high, and I’ve finally opened up the upper levels for her since her spay. Before the surgery, she always hung out on the upper level, but peed and pooped on the lower (wasn’t litter trained though). Now, she’s been using her litter box perfectly (to my surprise since I didn’t technically train her, haha) and it’s gonna stay on the lower level like before. Will it just confuse her if I put another one on the upper level? Should I just watch and see what her habits are now that she has full access to her cage? Thanks guys!

Also, anyone else have awesome success stories with their buns miraculously using their litter box after being fixed without having to train them? they are so smart!

• Tigerbunbun
        Participant
        8 posts Send Private Message

I don’t think it’s going to confuse her. I also have two litter boxes for my bunny, one outside her cage and one inside.But, I would normally find her using the one outside (she likes it better).

• Gina.Jenny
          Participant
          2244 posts Send Private Message

I have underbed storage boxes lined with newspaper, half a puppy training pad and then half filled with hay. I didn’t have this for my first bunny, just a cat litter tray, and she was difficult to litter train. I started using boxes in every corner with my second and third bunnies. My recent three are all rescues, one who can’t be neutered on health grounds, and they all started using the hay boxes straight away. It sounds like your little girl is happy with just the one, but I would at least pop one more in, maybe at the top? Numerous ones become more important if bunny has time out and access to large floor areas.

• Emma&Charlie
            Participant
            17 posts Send Private Message

We have a two story cage for our two bunnies, brother and sister. In the beginning they had two toilets in both their cage and playpen but now we only put in one. They also have one on the bottom level of their cage cause they always shove eveything off the top layer for some reason (even the plastic toilet tray) and like to lay right on the plastic floor. I find they use their hey feeders and water the most at the top as well. The upper layer has become their snuggle and eat area most of the time and the bottom layer is more toilet and play. I find it funny how they set that up. To be honest they have not been using an indoor playpen for a while because it is warm enough to build it outside (Where I am not sure there is a need for a special toilet?) and also because my little boy bunny learned how to jump right out of the playpen and started doing so so often that we couldnt have them out anymore unless someone was going to be sitting right there watching them. I will have to figure out something new for next aumtun/winter unless he has calmed down with the jumping by then. Currently my little girl is 6 months old and has not yet been spayed. We are going to be talking to the vet soon about getting this done and our options here in Germany. She has some mood issues happening here at times (but then again she was always a bit more standoffish than her brother) but she has not been having any trouble with her pee thankfully and they both seem to use the toilet the majority of the time.

• Azerane
              4688 posts Send Private Message

When I just had Bandit, he only had one litter tray on the bottom level of his cage (two level). When he was let out he had access to multiple rooms and would always return to his cage to use the box, except for a couple stray poops here and there which is to be expected.

• GabbyW
                Participant
                28 posts Send Private Message

Thanks everyone! Isn’t it so funny how alike most bunnies are? I put the extra litter box in the corner of the room now, and I think I saw her use it once while playing around, but I’m not entirely sure. Lol. But yeah, so far, she’s just been hanging out on top as usual and peeing and pooping on the bottom. guess she won’t need the extra box inside her cage. Yay!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A One or two litter boxes?