Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING One bunny chasing the other

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ponzu_and_Suchi
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I’m trying to bond two bunnies, my first, Ponzu, and a new rescue bunny, Suchi.  They’ve made a lot of progress in just over two weeks, and I can leave them in the same room now for a couple hours without keeping a close eye on them.  But they’re not grooming each other yet, and Ponzu keeps chasing Suchi around every two minutes.  Should I interpret his chasing her as hostile behavior, or are they just learning to play together?  Ponzu has been the aggressor throughout the whole bonding process so far.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! I am going to move your post to our Bonding Section. I think it’s a better fit there.

• Deleted User
          Participant
          22064 posts Send Private Message

You can allow the chasing unless it escalates to a full pursuit. Does Suchi get to safety quickly? By the sounds of your description I imagine short chase-offs. as long as there are no run-ins, and suchi can get away, they may carry on with this. Keep in mind that they are not ready for a smaller setup until the chases grow less and less intense.

• Ponzu_and_Suchi
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thanks, Petzy.  Your description is accurate: they’re very short chases; Ponzu doesn’t seem to really have his heart in it.  But they’re endless.  She’s ready to be friends with him, and has even licked him on his head, but he insists on being a jerk in return.

We actually supervised their dates in a very small space for a couple of weeks, and then moved them into a larger space (the kitchen).  Is that going backwards?

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

No, that’s perfectly fine! There is no one set way on how to progress in bondng, you just play it by ear keeping in mind the basics, meaning that they will need to get to a peace deal before you can leave them unsupervised and that they may have set-backs which may require a change of session type.
                The chasing may last for a long time, or it may cease soon. These sudden chasing spurts are really nothing to worry about. I have a bonded group, been bonded for 8 months, and sometimes there are chasing spurts still. Even a rabbit is not always in harmony with another, but who is??! Just observe them well to notice the progress in their positive interactions. That way you will know when it gets to cementing time.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING One bunny chasing the other