Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR older rabbit littlebox habits

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • burnt clutch
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Howdy all! I have a pair of dutch rabbits, male and female that are at least 8 years old, and they live in a 2 story cage. My problem is that the girl bun used to urinate in the bottom of her cage, but now for the past 3 months, she is going off the upper level, almost pretty consistently. I’ve had to place cardboard under the cage to catch her over spray, to keep her from ruinng the floors. Has anyone had troublewith thier older rabbits altering thier bathroom habits? She had been perfectly fine going in the bottom of the cage until the last few months! Historically, she’s been pretty ant-social twoards people, but I give her plenty of space, and dont torment her, so I cant imagine this being a battle of wills between her and me. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help…

-Karl

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Have you had the vet check her for a urinary tract infection?

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Karl! Welcome, we’re glad to have you here! I am very sorry to hear about your little problem. I second Sarita’s question, has she been checked for a UTI or bladder stones? Also has anything changed like your schedule, have you reached in and has your scent rubbed off on that area in particular? Does she have any mobility issues?

• burnt clutch
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Nothings changed about my schedule, or our environment, things are the same as they’ve been for years. She gets around ok, and seems to be a normal bun. Is incontinance related to urinary tract infections? Are those infections easliy cured? Thanks for your feedback so far!
              -Karl

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

Yes, incontinence is related to a urinary tract infection. Most of my rabbits with URI’s have been easily cured but I do find that once they have these problems they are just more prone to them so I would definitely have her checked by the vet for this. In my case it seems my females have more UTI’s but my males have more problems related to sludge – but that doesn’t mean she cannot have sludge, that’s the just the case with my rabbits.

My vet usually tries to do a urinalysis – although this isn’t always easy and she will do fluids and usually she gives me a sulfa based drug for the infection. But that is my vet’s protocol for this and it may not be your vet’s protocol for UTI’s.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR older rabbit littlebox habits