Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE okay to reuse old cage?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Annie Fann
      Participant
      83 posts Send Private Message

Wills’ bunny passed away last week from health complications, bless her little bunny soul.  I was wondering about reusing her cage.  Its a Leith Petwerks wooden one with two levels. http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpage.cfm?prod_code=BA200.  He also has one of the plastic ones with the wire top.

Is it okay to reuse it on a new rabbit?  He’s not getting one any time soon.  But he was thinking of tossing the cage.  But it’d be a shame considering it costs $300! He said a new bun would just reject/destroy it. Any of you who have a lot of buns might now if the scent bothers the bunny? Is it possible to wash it? If so, with what? and what about other equipment? litter box, water bottle, food dishes, etc. Should those be tossed?

Thanks!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Oh, I definitely would not toss that cage! Just clean it very good and reuse it. Buy new carpets too.

I would toss everything but the food dishes if they can be washed.

I just wash the vinyl bottoms of my Leith condo’s with a vinegar and water solution. I’ve used my Leith condo’s over and over and over with fosters just cleaning and get them fresh new carpets from Leith.

• Bunnies4ever
          Participant
          368 posts Send Private Message

I have that same cage and would not throw it away! It’s one of the best cages on the market! Like Sarita said, just replace the carpet on the 2nd floor and clean it with a white vinegar solution.

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

I agree, I reused my leith petwerk condo with no problems. They are to much of an investment to toss and you can replace just about everything on that condo you can’t clean or repair.

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

If a bun isn’t going to be going into it too quickly, you can use a weak bleach solution to clean down the cage – help to disinfect and descent things a bit more than the vinegar.

• JK
                Participant
                2223 posts Send Private Message

Yes if you use a weak bleach solution to clean the cage it should be fine. This is what the rescue I am familiar with uses. I believe it’s 10% bleach. That will for sure kill any bacteria. You can mix that in a sprayer bottle. I would throw all the other things away unless they can be sterilized.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

I agree, sterilize with the vinegar or bleach solution – be sure not to mix the two! Definately do not throw the cage out. You also might want to air it out outside as well and get rid of any residual fumes from cleaning.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE okay to reuse old cage?