Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Off, It’s my bed!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • R n' K
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Oh man and sake dear me oh my…. my bunny has learned a new trick.  She jumps on my bed, I wake up, she gets attention.  Which is very cute first thing in the morning, even my late riser boyfriend loves it, however, I happened to be home all weekend giving her and my other two bunnies attention and last night she never stopped!  I would love to put her in the other but unfortanatly she is still waiting to get spade while the other two are recovering in the living room.  I have to keep all three seperated which is hard enough but with no sleep!  Oh man of me oh my.  How do I correct this without resorting to putting her out of her home, which she has chosen, claimed and keeps mighty clean.  I have tried a cage but she just rattles it and makes her, "I’m going to get you!" huffy noise she usually reserves for play pounces,  all night.  I am so tired.  Please help!

Now you may ask why not just put her in her cage in the other room, reason 1: cage is hand built and doesn’t fit through the door without much deassembling; reason 2: without a cage she makes the other two go crazy that they aren’t out all night like usual; and reason 3: cause she hops back in, jumps back on me, and or scratches, huffs loudly and thumps, which still keeps me up!

How do I give her tons of love yet get some sleep?

Rachelle

PS None of my bunnies like tile so putting them anywhere else freaks them out!

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

hi R n’ K – welcome to binky bunny! 🙂
          it sounds like you’ve got quite a little character on your hands! What’s cute at 9 am, is not nearly as much fun at 3 am.

Is she entirely free range in your room? If she is free-range, perhaps try an x-pen (the doggy exercise pen) with a sheet over the top just while you’re sleeping? I recommend an x-pen since they’re easy to fold up to store, but also since you can make the pen any shape you choose.

another option is to try and train her by saing NO or DOWN in a very firm voice whenever she hops on the bed and put her down on the floor right away without pets / love. But, some bunnies are better about listening that others, so it’s hard to know if it will work or not. But, you’d need to be consistant and likely not allow her on the bed at all. It likely would be confusing to her why she’s allowed on the bed only sometimes.

It may be that she’ll get over it and stop the late night hop-bys, but you never really know with buns. Sometimes something is a great novelty for a few weeks and then they get over it.

Good luck – let us know how it goes

• Spacehopper
          Participant
          540 posts Send Private Message

you’re very lucky.  I’d say enjoy it all you can.  be warned  I now find myself laying awake waiting for the Bum to come demanding his head rubs, and feel most rejected if he doesn’t.  lol

• poopy
            Participant
            684 posts Send Private Message

As long as she is in your room, even if you prevent her from jumping on the bed, she will still run around and make lots of other noise in the morning to wake you up. So here are your choices
              1) Start waking up early
              2) Learn to fall back asleep in the morning. If I’m really tired Medusa will leave me alone when she sees I am asleep and try again in 30 mins.
              3) Don’t keep them in your bedroom overnight/morning.
              4) Get an automatic feeder that feeds them their morning pellets.

• MooBunnay
              Participant
              3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I’ve been trying to think of what you can do but have not come u with anything too ingenious…When you DO put her in the cage, I know you said she rattles it and makes her “huffy” noise – How long does she do this for? My bunnies do a similar thing, however, after awhile they get bored and realize they aren’t acheiving much and then turn to other things to do. Have you triend not giving her attention when she jums up on the bed? I know its tough to do, but maybe once she learnst here is no point to jumping on the bed, she will get tired of that as well. I think this is one of those things where she is super excited because she has found a new game, but I think she will either tire of it OR start just sleeping in the bed with you…how do you feel about that?

• R n' K
                Participant

All of you have such cute bunnies!  And to all of your help I thank you.  And along with using all of your tricks (yes I have tried all of them) the only thing it manages to accomplish is she poops everywhere!  And huffs even more.  Have I mentioned the girl is much more like a cat than a rabbit?  So far, if I put her in the other room my other female bunny attacks, so back in my room she goes, in the cage she ripped off her toenail and bleed,  so out of that she came.  I have found that when she jumps on the bed and I don’t want her there I can "thump" on the bed and off she jumps. Mind you, I still wake up but at least it doesn’t require tons of time and she’ll do it a few times and then give up.  However, then the pooping starts.  I can’t help to think there is something else that is going on.  But she won’t tell me so hopefully I figure it out soon.      My next question for all of you will now be, I understand that having a bunny is a long term thing, which is fine with me I have 3 young bunnies now and love them very much but just so I am prepared has it been everyones experience that they live for 10ish years?

• MooBunnay
                  Participant
                  3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! Yep! Around 10 years, definitely can be more sometimes too We just adopted out a bunny to a lady who lost her male bunny at 12 years old. I also think the older they get the more chilled out they get, I am in fact quite partial to older bunnies. As I’ve posted a couple times before – Its my dream to opn a little bunny reitrement home! How old are your bunnies now?

Also, as a side note, it would be a good idea to have some “Styptic Powder” at home which can be found in grooming sections of pet stores usually – this is something you can press on a nail wound to help stop bleeding. It is not intended for large open wounds, more like minor wounds (usually from trimming a nail to short). Has your bunny had her nails trimmed recently? If they are too long that can cause them to catch on things, and having them trimmed can help with that. Often times rabbit rescues can do a “manicure” for a small donation!

Also, you can do some research on bunny “bonding” – the correct way to introduce rabbits (there are some posts on here about it, and also information on this website) which could help you properly introduce your females so they get along.

• R n' K
                    Participant

Oh all of my darlings are 6 months to a couple of years. Or so says the vet. We have tried all sorts of bonding techniques that we find and so far nothing has worked. I think since Spike (our younger female) and Champ (our only male) bonded since we got Champ, Spike gets crazy jealous when Hunnybum (our other female, the one who has learned the new trick) when Hunnybum and Champ hang out. Which is okay. But hopefully someday they’ll all just get along. : ) Oh and we trim nails fequently but she always finds a way to make it bleed. If it happens again I think we are taking her to the vet. Maybe she has a bad nail, or something, because it is always the same left front foot pinky toe.

By the way, that sounds amazing. A retirement home for bunnies. Although like our local bunny shelter I see that being rather smelly. How do you cut down on the smell?

• Gravehearted
                      Participant
                      2428 posts Send Private Message

are all your bunnies spayed or neutered yet? it will greatly cut down on the smells, but really improve their litter habits. it’s also very important for their health.

I’d second Moobunnay’s recommendation to buy styptic powder, which is available at any petstore in the grooming section. in a pinch you can use corn starch on a bleeding nail too.

• BinkyBunny
                        8776 posts Send Private Message

So how big is your bathroom, or what about the kitchen? What about putting an xpen in those areas during the night. If it’s tiled, put a blanket or towel down.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Off, It’s my bed!