Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Odd vet diagnosis

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • Yilina
      Participant
      246 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys,

Tambor has been having breathing problems since we got him a month ago. He has sneezing fits at least once a day, sometimes his breathing is noisy (I don’t know how else to describe it) and I have seen him scratch his inner ear a couple of times. A few days ago, the area around his left eye started getting wet at random times (it dries but then it gets wet again). There is no mucus in his nose and his paws aren’t wet. I know some of you know this, but I live in an isolated island with no rabbit vets, just “normal” vets.

We took him to the vet today, but she doesn’t know exactly what’s going on with him. I thought it was pasteurella, but she didn’t mention it. She thinks the breathing and the eye problems are not linked and all is caused by parasites (however, she says his ear channels are clean of them) and his litter material (she asked us to change it). Also, she has given us tear drops (3 drops/day during 7 days), a de-worming cream to be put once today and again in a month, and 2 antibiotic injections every day until Saturday (we need to take him every day to the vet for her to inject them –we chose this because we don’t feel confident doing it ourselves).

You have much more experience with vets than I do, so have you ever had your vet give you these kind of drugs for these symptoms? I feel a bit uneasy that she doesn’t know what this is and that she has given us antibiotics even if she hasn’t seen any infection :S.

Thank you!

• Mikey
        Participant
        3186 posts Send Private Message

It sounds more like a tooth issue. Teeth problems can easily cause eye, ear, and nose problems

• Bam
          16872 posts Send Private Message

How old is your rabbit?

“Snuffles” sounds likely to me, it doesn’t always have to be caused by pasteurella multocida-bacteria. A bacterial “bunny cold” can spread from the pharynx to the nose and the tear canal and sinuses and then lungs and ears – everything is connected in there. You treat with antibiotics. Sometimes you need a longer course of antibiotics.

What anti-parasitic was he given? Ivermectin and selamectin kill a pretty wide variety of parasites, both internal and external. I don’t know what parasites are common in your part of the world or what symptoms they cause, but I’m sure your vet knows. Anyway, ivermectin and selamectin are bunny safe and can be given on suspicion and won’t harm your bun.

• Yilina
            Participant

Hi @Mikey!

Thank you for your reply <3. He had his teeth checked when we took him for his first check-up a couple of weeks ago; and the vet said they were in pristine condition. Can teeth problems cause respiratory issues as well?

Hugs!

• Yilina
              Participant

Hi @bam! Tambor is 1 year and 3 months old. Now that I recall it, I think the vet said something about Tambor having a cold (she said that when I asked her why she thought Tambor had that infection). She gave other reasons too -she’s not very sure about it.

The anti-parasit is called “advocate, 0.4 ml” (made by Bayer) and it is for animals weighting less than 4 kg (Tambor weights 1.4kg). The drug for his eyes is called “tévémyxine collyre, 5ml” (made by TVM, the address is French). I have no idea about the antibiotic injections brand, as she has kept it in the clinic.

Do these names ring any bells? The same drug may have different names in different countries (it is for marketing purposes and to make them more pronounceable for the population), so it is hard to find the equivalent…

• Bam

Advocate is bunny safe and will kill ear mites and fleas. It has imidaclopride and moxidectin.

Tevemyxine collyre is an antibiotic for treatment of bacterial eye-infections. It’s against germs that are sensitive to polymyxin and neomycin. Don’t use more than the dose prescribed. It’s very powerful.

As for the injected antibiotics, I can of course only guess. A commonly used antibiotic for bunnies is enrofloxacine (Baytril). It’s bunny safe and has effect on several of the bacteria that can cause a bunny cold. It also helps the immune defense to fight off the infection.

• jerseygirl
                  22342 posts Send Private Message

Could you ring and ask they email you an itemised invoice? That may list the medications and doses.

I wonder if one of the injections is a penicillin?

• Yilina
                    Participant

Hi @bam! It great to know that, at least, 2 of the drugs are bunny safe. Tambor is doing good and his eye wetness has disappeared (however, it had started to disappear before we began the eye treatment).

Hopefully it is only a bunny cold or sth caused by his litter material (which we are in the process of changing). I really panicked when I thought it could be pasteurella. He is still having sneezing fits, but they seem less strong.

• Yilina
                      Participant

Hi @jerseygirl! The vet clinic doesn’t have an e-mail account (at least, not open to its clients). Here, the only internet thing most business have is a Facebook page. Our clinic has a website, that is one of the reasons we chose it -it seems more professional. Also, the vet is my gynaecologist daughter .

The vet will give us Tambor’s last drug (the shots) on Friday, as we will have to give him his last shots ourselves on Saturday (the clinic is closed). I will let you know then -hopefully it will be something bunny-friendly.

Tambor is doing good. He doesn’t have eye wetness anymore but his sneezing fits are not so long. Also, he is in great spirits, maybe just a bit less active. But I guess antibiotics cause that.

Thank you very, very much for all your help. I’m sure you hear this all the time, but you guys are wonderful!

• Yilina
                        Participant

Hi guys,

Tambor is back to health! His eye has been in perfect health for more than a week now. He hadn’t had sneezing fits in a week (he hadn’t even sneezed once), but I heard him sneeze yesterday and the day before that. I will need to monitor him and take him to the vet if it gets worse.

Anyway, I would like to thank you, guys, for your support and help <3. Thank you!

• Bam

Great news! Thanks for the update! Fingers crossed that the sneezing will stop.

• Boston's Mama
                            Participant
                            1452 posts Send Private Message

Can I ask what litter you were using ? ( only since the vet said it may have something to do with it so I’m curious so I avoid it )
                              Glad he is improving Tambor beat those last few sneezes!!

• Yilina
                              Participant

Hi there! We were using those terrible wood shavings (his former owner gave us a bag) and trying to find alternatives was being hard (even simple newspaper!).

Fortunately we have! He’s using wood pellets now. Wood shaving was the only thing we have ever found here and when we discovered wood pellets we almost jumped with joy in the middle of the store

• Yilina
                                Participant

Thank you, girls! I hope he will beat them too!

He looks and acts much more energetic now. Since he finished his antibiotics, he has had a personality change and for the better! I guess it also has to do with the fact that he has been with us longer and he feels less nervous, but he is much more active now and he asks for his food like a madman.

Before, he liked eating but was not very excited about it. However, now, even 1 hour before his feeding times, he will come to us, start smelling everywhere and jump all over his room looking for food. He even jumps on my lap now when I have a few pellets/veggies in my hand! I guess he feels better and knows that he can live life to the fullest (?) .  He is drinking much more now too.

Do your bunnies also get over the top exited about food? Do they do reckless things, like jumping onto unstable surfaces or not looking before they start running (Tambor does that now) when food is involved?

• Reesebun
                                  Participant
                                  1034 posts Send Private Message

Reese does that when treats are involved! (The normal treats I give her are small amounts of freeze dried fruit)

• Bam

Bam used to fall over backwards when I had a gate separating him and my other bun and I came to the gate with food. That’s a boy who loooves food!

It’s great that Tambur is more interested in food and drink now. I’d take it as a clear sign he’s enjoying his life more =)

• Yilina
                                      Participant

Hi there,

Tambor is officially cured. No sneezing fits since I last wrote here (9 days ago). I am so happy!!!!!

Thank you all for your care and invaluable help!

• Bam

Yay for Tambor!!!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Odd vet diagnosis