Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING number of litterboxes?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • lwayne
      Participant
      428 posts Send Private Message

Arduina and Leo have been sharing one litterbox and it is great, only one litterbox to clean every other day!  However, I am thinking they may want two..

Leo is the type of bun who likes to sit in the litterbox munching on hay and as I say ‘reading playbunny magazines’ (luckily he doesn’t nap in there too).  Arduina does her business and then leaves, she’ll munch on hay out of the litterbox.  I do find a lot of poos around the litterbox that I think are partly from her dragging them out and maybe one of them leaving them when the litterbox is occupied.  

How many litterboxes do you have per pair?

• mocha200
        Participant
        4486 posts Send Private Message

i have two. i think two is good because my buns like to nap in them

• Elrohwen
          Participant
          7318 posts Send Private Message

I go between one and two. I got one large box that fits both of them, and I also have a smaller one that was Otto’s when he was a single bun. They can both squeeze their butts in the small one, but it’s really better for one bun at a time. Sometimes I give them both, but more often lately I’ve just been giving them the larger one. Neither like to hang out in it for long periods of time, so it works fine for them. They’re also not territorial of it at all.

• mocha200
            Participant

were they ever territorial over there boxes?

• Elrohwen
              Participant

Nope. Occasionally Hannah is territorial over food – especially with treats, she’ll chase Otto away, but she has no problems with him hopping into the litter box with her.

• mocha200
                Participant

mocha always chases lulu out of the boxes!

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

We have two large cat boxes side by side. One box also has the hay rack in it, so it doubles as the hay area… but neither of mine seem possessive of either box…

• lwayne
                    Participant
                    428 posts Send Private Message

I have the standard large litterbox but only one goes in at a time.  Technically they both can fit, but if other other tries to hop in when its ‘occupied’ then the one in there will hop out.  I guess I could either get an extra large one or they might like better having two.  It’s just Arduina likes to make a mess…

The other day she tracked soiled litter and poo out of the litterbox, out of the pen, on to the carpet, and even up onto the green bin [in the picture below].  I guess someone was in a hurry to go somewhere!  

Does anyone use those enclosed litter boxes?  They’re made for cats, but bunnies might like them?

• MissKris&Koji
                      Participant
                      279 posts Send Private Message

I have seen a photo on here of someone with the roofed litter boxes, so yes, it could work, but I think that would help more with the digging than the litter tracking.

• LoveChaCha
                        Participant
                        6634 posts Send Private Message

Iwayne, I have the same litter box as you. And it is for a cat

• Elrohwen
                          Participant

What kind of litter are you using? I don’t find that my bunnies track any wood stove pellets out of their box. Maybe a heavier pelleted litter would work better.

You could also try a screen. Hannah decided to dig in the box every day, so I got a screen from BB and it’s prevented any mess.

• Lunar~Atticus
                            Participant
                            209 posts Send Private Message

i have 3 litter boxes for my pair one in each of their cages and one in their common area.

when they were living together, they had 4

• Deleted User
                              Participant
                              22064 posts Send Private Message

Iwayne, their bond is new; littering may be a reality for a little while, no matter what the potty set-up. As you report that one jumps out as the other jumps in, I recommend Beka’s set-up for the time being. I highly doubt an enclosed, roofed, box will help with this particular scenario.

I have a quartet and started out with three boxes during their cementing and am now down to one very large one (a cage) in their condo.

• Beka27
                                Participant
                                16016 posts Send Private Message

With such a large space to work with, you could also get one of those large, “under-the-bed” plastic storage containers… I’ve used those for a litterbox before too. It could double as a hay area.

• Andi
                                  Participant
                                  1048 posts Send Private Message

I use Rabbit cage bottoms as litter boxes, they work great.
                                    Most pens I have two boxes (2 to 3 rabbits), one cage I have one HUGE one. Some cages I’ll have one big and then a smaller corner style elsewere.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING number of litterboxes?