Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Number of cecotropes per day

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Boing
      Participant
      253 posts Send Private Message

Cincinnati and Daisy finished their 28 days of fenbendazole a few weeks ago. During the treatment, I noticed that Cincinnati had more frequent cecotrope smearing. He used to get it every couple of months or so. It increased during treatment, though all of his other many symptoms decreased. I hoped it would go away. It hasn’t. Does anyone know the volume of expected cecotropes per day per pound of rabbit? I’d like to get an idea of how many go uneaten.

It’s not a weight issue – he struggles to gain and maintain weight. It’s not his teeth – he’s spends so much time at the vet’s being examined, I can safely rule that out. Their diet hasn’t changed.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

• Sirius&Luna
        Participant
        2319 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know how many they should eat a day, but if he’s overproducing them every day then that’s a diet issue that needs addressing.

I’ve not heard about fenbendazole (panacur) causing extra cecatropes before, but I guess it could be related if it just started with that.

I would try cutting down on pellets and veg to start with and see if that makes a difference.

• Boing
          Participant
          253 posts Send Private Message

Thank you, Sirius&Luna. I’ve started levelling his pellet scoops as opposed to having them be slightly convex and it has made a big difference! It did just start with the fenbendazole to be every day. It used to be intermittent, less than once a week. He seems much better now.

I guess he must just be sensitive. Daisy’s on the exact same diet, just halved as she weighs half as much and she’s fine.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Number of cecotropes per day