Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Not eating pellets

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • angoralvr
      Participant
      500 posts Send Private Message

The new little guy has not been eating his pellets. He has been eating a ton of hay though. His previous owners always fed him unlimited amounts of pellets but he never got hay. Should I be worried about his lack of pellet consumption or is he just more interested in the hay because he has never gotten it before?

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Really – a bun that prefers hay over pellets is an ideal situation Since he had such a bad diet of all pellets before, he must be loving having some hay to munch on, and its probably making him feel a lot better, so he’s into the hay more than the pellets. I would not be concerned, I have not ever encountered an issue before where a rabbit ate TOO MUCH hay. The only hay/pellet issue I have ever encountered is when a rabbit eats too many pellets and has to go to a “hay only” diet. I am assuming his poops are looking nice and healthy?

• angoralvr
          Participant
          500 posts Send Private Message

His poops look normal to me. At first I thought there was something wrong with them because they are so small. Then I realized that is just because he is so small! His normal poops are about the size of Henri’s cecal pellets. The vet did say he could stand to lose a little bit of weight anyway.

That does make me think of another question I had though. . . I know that bunny’s pee can be a range of colors. Henri’s is pretty much always yellow though (maybe a little bit orange). the new guys pee is almost red in color. What is it that causes the color differencs?

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

Many things including diet and medication can change a rabbit’s urine color.

This is from the House Rabbit Society on red urine:

For obscure reasons (my rabbits all eat the same food, drink the same water and get the same treats) some get red urine, some don’t. Red urine (due to excessive urinary pigments) may occur due to any of the following:

While on antibiotics
              At the first cold snap in the fall
              After eating fir leaves
              After eating carrots, spinach or other veggies containing beta carotene

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

angoragirl!  i’m so happy for your new little guy!  he must be overjoyed at the idea of hay!  how wonderful!

• Hannah
                Participant
                274 posts Send Private Message

My little Winnie had red pee and refused pellets when I first got her, too (she came from a pet store with unlimited pellets and no hay, too)– and then started to have tummy problems when she did start eating the pellets again, so now she’s on a hay only diet and her pee is much lighter in color, which is good, because she really likes to pee on my bed…. So I think this might not be that uncommon for bunnies with previously bad diets!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Not eating pellets