Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Not drinking after stasis

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Moonlightbunny66
      Participant
      694 posts Send Private Message

Pinky went into a form of stasis on Wednesday. He was lethargic in the morning and only had a few bites of his lettuce so I took him to the vet and got there in the afternoon. They did x rays, no obstruction but lots of gas, especially in the colon. We were going to take him to an animal hospital by referral (they can do a ct scan) to try to figure out his chronic gas issue, but they were full, so we’re waiting to see about that.

The vet gave him fluids and two injections of pain medicine. She gave me Trimebutine, Metacam, and Buprenorphine to take home. She told me to feed him critical care 5 times a day, 6.5tbsp of the powder in total. She said we could hospitalize him at another vet if we want (our vet doesn’t have someone overnight) but said it’s not necessary. I decided to take him home to see if he would feel better after the medications. He’s been doing better now, eating some hay, greens, and critical care on his own. I still had to force some on the feeding I just did but he might just be tired of it.

What I’m concerned about right now is that he hasn’t drank any water since I brought him home from the vet on Wednesday (the day before yesterday). He got the fluids around 2-3pm I think. He was still really flabby from them yesterday but it looks like it’s almost all gone down. I don’t know if it’s just still absorbing or he doesn’t want to drink, I’m not sure if he’s dehydrated. He had some soft poops a few minutes ago, like mushy looking. Could that mean his hydration is fine? He’s also been peeing pretty normally I think.

I’ve been putting lots of water on his greens. I’m not sure if I should take him to an emergency vet to give him fluids (our vet was closed today). Or if I should just wait for tomorrow when I bring him back to my vet for a recheck. I don’t have an appointment yet, they just told me to call in the morning and they’ll get me in. I’d probably get there at 12pm, maybe 11pm, but it also depends on the times they have available.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear this. 🙁

If he’s getting critical care and wet greens, that might be enough fluids for him, especially if he’s not eating a lot of hay on his own (which usually makes buns thirsty). If he’s urinating normally, I think he’s prob OK for now. You could syringe some water or hay tea if you are worried.

I know I’ve mentioned this before, but you might talk to your normal vet about putting him on a maintenance dose of cisapride or another motility med long term.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Moonlightbunny66
          Participant

Thank you DanaNM. Makes me feel a bit better. He drank a bit of cilantro water I made for him. I blended some cilantro with water, strained out all the pieces, and poured it into water. It took him a few hours, but he took a little drink. I saw people online saying to use a little fruit juice, but the vet told me not to give him any sugar for now (been saying that for a while). Tomorrow, the vet will likely give him fluids if they think it’s necessary.

I do think that might be a good idea. We want to have help from the animal hospital to figure out his issue when they have time available. I can ask my vet about a long term gut motility med.

Thank you.

• Moonlightbunny66
            Participant

The vet gave him some fluids and a feeding. She wants to switch from Buprenorphine to Gabapentin. Is this a usual medication for gas pain? She said he still has gas, but it’s not too bad. She’ll call the animal hospital on Tuesday to try to book a ct scan. The dosage for the Gabapentin is 0.3mL every 12 hours. She said to continue the trimebutine and meloxyn, and I can give him simethicone morning and night.

• Moonlightbunny66
              Participant

I forgot to add that the Gabapentin is 100mg/mL.

• DanaNM
                8901 posts Send Private Message

Gabapentin is another pain med that is stronger than metacam and in a different class of drugs. I can’t speak much on Buprenorphine, but my vet gave me some gabapentin for my buns for the trip in case they got very stressed (it also has a slight calming effect).

I think for Pinky it will be a bit of a trial and error process to find a routine that works for him long term. Perhaps he might end up on some daily meds, with some others that you have on hand in case he gets a gas attack. Rather than having to rush him to the ER constantly, I would personally want to talk to the vet about what I could do at home (perhaps she can send you home with some sub-q fluids, etc), so that you have some steps you can take at home to see if that helps. There have been other members here with chronic-tummy-issue bunnies, and usually that’s what their vets do for them.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Not drinking after stasis