Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Not affectionate bunny

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunnykins2016
      Participant
      26 posts Send Private Message

I have had my bunny for almost exactly a year. In the beginning she was very affectionate and happy to be picked up and cuddled for hours. As time went on she started to dislike being picked up and wont sit still for longer than about 15 – 20 minutes when cuddled. Now i find it very hard to pick her up she will always run away from me when i try. I have never dropped her before so there is no reason she would be scared of that. She hardly sits still in her pen for me to sit with her and give her pats in there. She seems like a happy bunny and does binkys and flops on the floor all the time. I am wondering is it normal for a rabbit when they are growing up to become a bit more distant with their  owner and more into playing with their toys on their own.  Is there anything i can do to  make her want to snuggle with me and enjoys pats again ??? I want my snuggly cuddly bunny back!!   

Help me!!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

is she spayed? you might have to start the bonding process over again with her. it is true that *most* bunnies do not like to be held or picked up. they don’t feel secure like that b/c they are prey animals. sit on the floor, do a quiet activity, and try to interact with her while she is on the ground. if she will come up to you, offer her a treat and give her head pets if she will let you. do that for awhile so she can realize you’re not a threat. if you got her as a baby, it’s not fair for you to assume she will behave the same as she did back then. she has grown up, and you’ll need to appreciate her for who she is now.

• Bunnykins2016
          Participant

No she hasnt been spayed. I am in Canberra, Australia and i haven’t found a vet i trust enought to do it. The vets i have spoken to about desexing dont do a large number of rabbits so i dont really trust that she will be ok. I think i will have to start slowly with her again. It is just a bit sad that she doesnt want to cuddle me. I love her sooo much

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

It’s funny how things are relative. My idea of a very long snuggle session with Spockie was 15-20 minutes!
              I think several things are at play here, and getting her spayed will definitely be the next thing to do. She’s becoming a teenager, which means she’s more rambunctious and unpredictable. That is helped with spaying.

Also, I think she is feeling happy and secure. As the bunnies get more used to you, their surroundings and their lifestyle, they know they are safe in your presence. She’d rather play and have fun than sit around. She is curious and has to explore, she has toys that need playing with, she needs to run and zoom around and dance and do binkies. When she sleeps, she’s getting a good rest, then she’s got energy to burn!

You’ll find that her behavior calms down both after spaying, and after she’s a few years older. Think of your mom grabbing you in the kitchen for a hug when you were 10 and just couldn’t wait to go outside. “Aw, MOOOOOM!”

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

yes, your first step then is getting her spayed. i’m not surprised that the vets there don’t do A LOT of bunnies, the important thing is that they are bunny savvy tho. i would ask them how many rabbits they see, what their rate of success is. just b/c they don’t do them all the time, doesn’t mean they don’t know how. i’m not sure where you live exactly, but we do have some other Aus members, hopefully they’ll see this and maybe they know of someone.

• Hannah
                Participant
                274 posts Send Private Message

Baby bunnies are very affectionate– they really don’t mind being picked up and carried around and cuddled. However, between 6-12 months, rabbits go through puberty and most stop wanting to cuddle, unfortunately. Spayed will help with this, because altered rabbits don’t have the same hormonal issues that unaltered ones do. It may not make her as affectionate as she used to (it’s just like human children– most 16 year olds don’t really want to cuddle their parents), but it will probably eliminate unwanted behavior and may make her more open to “snugglier” activities. I also recommened spaying because female rabbits don’t tend to live very long without being fixed– they’re highly prone to genital cancers, and if they’re spayed this is no longer a worry. Maybe you can ask your local vet if he knows anyone who does more rabbits?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Yeh, I was like 15-20 minutes!! 😮 Wow!! I am happy with like five minutes LOL

Anyways for sure, behavior changes indicate needing to get fixed. Here’s what I found about vets in Australia for rabbits.
                    http://members.shaw.ca/cocoasun/AustralianRabbitVets.htm

Good luck

• skunklionshow
                    Participant
                    1257 posts Send Private Message

Yeah I was thinking puberty too! Definately find a vet b/c it sounds like you really love your bun and want her to live a super happy long life. 

I hope that some other OZ folk can address your vet issues.  I’m thinking as long as you find someone w/ rabbit experience, your good.  There was another post about someone in the US having concerns b/c their rabbit vet hadn’t done a rabbit spay in 6 mos.  I believe the concensus was as long as they are experienced w/ bunnies, that’s what matters.  So are your vets experienced w/ rabbits?

• Bunnykins2016
                      Participant

Thank you all for your responses. At least i know  that my bunny isnt mad at me and its normal for her to be this way. I have been calling some vets in my area and trying to see if any of them have a lot of rabbit experience. When i find one i am comfortable with and confidant that my bun will be ok i will get it done. Honey bunny is my little fur baby and i dont want anything bad to happen to her! But thanks again for your responses it has made me feel alot better

• Deleted User
                        Participant
                        22064 posts Send Private Message

Hello there … I’m from Perth so unfortunately cannot suggest a vet in the Canberra area … perhaps do to boingonline ..  I know they are based in Melbourne (I think) and may know of someone in your area (even though different states).

Spaying your bun would be an excellent option …. makes a happier bun too, however, she may not change her ways in the affectionate department, but will definitely give her a longer life span.

My boy bun is and has never been affectionate and a cuddly bun … i’m lucky if I get a nose poke!

OMG 15 minutes … I’d die for that!

• Deleted User
                          Participant

Oh and yes Canberra Girl … try the RSPCA in your area … I know they fix their dogs/cats prior to finding a suitable family … they may know of a good vet who is rabbit savy.

• skunklionshow
                            Participant

I knew another aussie could help.  It’s amazing the differences in all our countries w/ bunny care.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant

Bunkins-> Have you found a vet to do the spay yet?

• skunklionshow
                                Participant

I really have no idea where Canberra is, but I’m wondering if Jerseygirl might be able to help out as well?

• Bunnykins2016
                                  Participant

I am still calling vets in my area. When i am confidant in one i will book her in, and also when i have the money it is expensive!!! She likes cuddles occasionally i just have to catch her when she is in the mood. I got 45 minutes of cuddles the other day!!! She just falls asleep in my lap and gets pats….

• BinkyBunny
                                    8776 posts Send Private Message

BTW – That avatar pic of her is beautiful! Do you have any more pics to share – to post?

• Cassi&Charlie
                                      Participant
                                      1260 posts Send Private Message

I’m in Canberra and I got my bunny fixed at the Gunghalin vet, near the woolies supermarket. They were excellent, Charlie (my hunny bunny) was well looked after and even seemed a bit upset to be leaving the vet. There’s a male vet there from UK who has done a lot of work on bunnies and he gave me loads of good advice afterwards on pain management etc. Good luck.

• Bunnykins2016
                                        Participant

What is the name of the practice?? There are so many in Canberra!! Thanks

• Cassi&Charlie
                                          Participant

It’s the Gunghalin Vetinary Hospital: 21 Crinigan circle Gunghalin, 6242 7276. The web site is http://www.gungahlinvet.com.au/index.php

Good luck. I found them very helpful and informative

• Bunnykins2016
                                            Participant

Thanks for all your helpful replys! I still haven’t gotten my honey bunny desexed yet as i am completley broke and just cannot afford it but when i can i will certainly do it. Just an update on my baby, she is more affectionate now i have stopped trying to pick her up for snuggles. I have found if i open a corner for her cage and sit there she will come up to the corner and just sit infront of me  and be petted and stroked for ages. She has her eyes closed like she is sleeping. She is happy to do this for over an hour at a time!!  I get licks on my hands alot too ( which i have interpreted as kisses!!)    Thanks again

• TARM
                                              Participant
                                              1253 posts Send Private Message

Do you know what breed your bunny is? Some breeds are more affectionate with people than others.

My bunny boys love being held right now. It makes me sad to think they won’t stay that way.

• Bunnykins2016
                                                Participant

My bunny is a mini lop i think.

• MarkBun
                                                  Participant
                                                  2842 posts Send Private Message

Yes, the licks are returned grooming so she thinks yer one of the buns.

When trying to find a rabbit saavy vet, one ‘trick’ question to ask vets is should your rabbit fast before surgery.  The answer is ‘no’ as buns don’t regurgitate and with their metabolism any forced fasting could be bad for them.

You may also want to check with the vet and see if they will allow a payment plan.  I had to do that when my GF’s previous bun ran into a whole slew of trouble requiring multiple visits to the vet.

• jerseygirl
                                                    22345 posts Send Private Message

ha ha ha! Skunklionshow, Canberra is our Capital city  It’s in the ACT (Australian Capital Territory) on the east coast of OZ below Sydney. Sydney is often mistaken for our Capital! I knew Cassi would chime in here – glad you’ve got some pointers Bunnykins. I’m embarrassed to say my research into vets was not extensive but I was lucky with the one I chose.  Good slueth work K&K!  Wish I was a member before I went thru vet search and bunny spay!

• Cassi&Charlie
                                                      Participant

Just read Dawns post – DO NOT GO TO THE RSPCA!!! I cannot stress this enough! My bunny was spayed there before I adopted her and the after surgery pain relief given wasn’t enough, the skin wasn’t stiched evenly and she came to us in so much pain that we immediately took called RSPCA for more pain med and they said wait until Monday – it was Friday and so I told them she’s be dead by then (idiots!). We got her into our own vet in Gungahlin for pain relief within half an hour of calling them.

• Deleted User
                                                        Participant

Ooohh Cassi sorry to hear that you had some grief with the Canberra RSPCA … just as well you read my post and let the other Canberra lass know …

I have nothing but admiration for our Perth RSPCA … they are wonderful!

Hope your furbabies are doing ok too.

• skunklionshow
                                                          Participant

I guess that I’m just the typical “ugly American”…having no clue about world geography!!!!  Oddly enough, this was a question on a recent gameshow….What is the capital of Australia?  B/c of the OZ crew, I knew it was Canberra…but alas, the contestant said Sydney! LOL

Out of Curiousity:  Is there really a town called “porpoise spit”?  The small town from the movie Muriel’s Wedding

• jerseygirl
                                                            22345 posts Send Private Message

Pretty sure there isn’t a real Porpoise Spit. Think Coolangata in Queensland was marketed as Porpoise Spit because part of film shot there, along with Hamilton island. I’ve never thought to ask if it was real! I just googled it!!! So i’ve learnt something new today. Don’t feel too bad about your geography – you’d be surprised how many Aussies would have answered Sydney if on a quiz show.

**Sorry to have sidetracked your post Bunnykins!

• Cassi&Charlie
                                                              Participant

What I always say Skunklionshow is that if we don’t have a clue about your geography why should you care about ours. I am forever amazed at how many people I meet think that New York is the capital of US. Atleast you have an excuse, we watch all hollywood movies and people still can’t work it out from that. And Jerseygirl is right, unfortunately, some Aussies aren’t much better on our own geography.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                Participant

LOL Ok is there a capital of the US?? Like a city that’s capitol of the whole country?

I’m bad at all geography lol

• TARM
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  1253 posts Send Private Message

Washington D.C. is the capitol of the United States. But it’s not a city or a state, it’s a district. And…each state has its own capital. We have a federal government, each state has a state government, and each state has a bunch of county, city, and town governments. Its really a complex set of systems that I don’t even try to pretend I understand…even though I work for a county government…lol

Viewing 30 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Not affectionate bunny