Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A No garden

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • LoveLops
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hello all, I’m a newbie so please be gentle!

My gorgeous bunny Arthur was killed by a fox a few months ago and finally I feel ready to get some new bunnies although there will never be a replacement. Trouble is, I am moving shortly and won’t have a garden. Is it cruel to bring up bunnies indoors and if it can be done, what can I do to improve their quality of life?

Thanks in advance

xxx

• bunnyfan1030
        Participant
        9 posts Send Private Message

I currently have two bunnies and I keep them both indoors. I have them both littered trained. When I am not at home they are in their cages (I got them triple decker cages and they love to climb up and down on the different levels) but whenever I am at home I open their cages and let them run around one room of the house. I leave their cages open and that way if they have to use their litter, they are free to go in and out of their cage.  I also bunny proofed my home. (Make sure electical cords are covered or hidden. I covered my cords with an old hose; and anything that you don’t want nibbled on picked up) They love it.  They  interact with my husband and I, our  10 month old baby and our dog and they love it, always making their little grunting sounds. When we watch tv, they will lay beside us on the couch or on the floor. So they can have happy and full lives indoors!!!

• luvmybuns
          Participant
          65 posts Send Private Message

I have three bunnies, two are a bonded pair and one foster bunny that I am probably adopting.  All thre live inside, which is much nicer than outside.  Inside they have a 4 story and 3 story cage.  When I am home, they get to run around their area of the house.   Living in a house they are in a controlled environment, no major temperature changes, no bad weather, no predators.  They get to eat well, I give them greens twice a day, papaya tablets twice a day, change their water daily, unlimited Timothy hay, visit with them everytime I go through their room, which is all the time as they are attached to the kitchen.  They are litter trained.  They do leave a little poo around, but mainly for marking their territory.  I assume enventually, when things quit changing, that will end.   I would not have it any other way.  My bunnies will always be indoor bunnies.   You can check out the Cool Habitats under the Bunny Info tab and see the many different exercise pens and cages that people have built.    My cousins bunny even sleeps with them in their bed.  Their bunny is free roaming in the house.  Mine have not earned that freedom yet.   Good luck with finding a new bunny to love and designing a new house for him/her.

• osprey
            Participant
            2065 posts Send Private Message

I have three bunnies, who all live indoors with us.  Here in California, it gets quite hot this time of year, and it would be dangerous for a bunny to live outside.  We also have hawks, bobcats, raccoons and other predators here.  I am very sorry to hear of your loss, losing a bunny is hard.  Neutered/spayed bunnies can be wonderful additions to your home, can be litterbox trained, and are quite interactive with their families.  Check the information under the "BUNNY INFO" tab at the top, you’ll find lots of ideas about how to keep bunnies happy and healthy indoors.

• skunklionshow
              Participant
              1257 posts Send Private Message

I’d hazard a guess that most of us are indoor bunny people…..

I have 2 that live very peacefully w/ my 4 cats.  They are caged during the work day and then party in the evenings until we go to bed.  Leo was in my pet therapy program at my previous job.  I took him w/ me when I left.  He had full reign of the classroom during the day.  Often I left him out most evenings and weekends.  Oddly enough, he seemed to prefer his cage and seldom hip hopped.  He’s been a bit more adventerous since moving in w/ us.

We recently blocked off the access area under/around the couch.  I think the buns have been punishing us w/ anti-socialness since this access has become limited.  Naughty bunnies!

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

Oh bunnies make wonderful indoor pets and you’ve definately come to the right place Tristana! There is oodles of information in the tabs at the top of this page too you can check out. Are your bunnies fixed at all? If not it may be a more difficult transition for them. Have you considered what type of housing you will use? Also, how far are you moving, it can be difficult to travel with bunnies and is quite an extra worry if it is going to be far so you may want to wait until you are settled-in, have housing set up and your place bunny-proofed. That way you are not trying to do it all at once, plus unpacking.

• LoveLops
                  Participant

Thank you all so much.

I’m not too worried about the move as the lady that has them now is going to keep them for the difficult phase of the operation!

I feel much happier about keeping them inside as Arthur was killed by a fox and I couldn’t bear it to happen again. Perhaps I will post some photos for you all to see how lovely he was, poor darling.

Does anyone know where those storage cubes can be bought in the UK?

xxxxx

• wendyzski
                    Participant
                    1312 posts Send Private Message

Yay for indoor bunnies!  A lot of people think bunnies are boring, but that’s because if they sit out in the barn all day you never SEE them be funny.  But when you have them around 24-7, you can see all their wonderful personalities.  Pepper is a princess bunny, a little diva who only allows pets when she is in the mood but sulks when I am not around.  I walk her on a harness and leach sometimes (though who is walking whom varies) and if the grass is wet she hops on the sidewalk to spare her dainty white feets!  I’ve been sleeping on the fold-out-couch in the living room a lot lately because I’m traveling a lot and she was sulking, and she hops up to visit in the early mornings.  I woke this morning to hopeful whiskers on my face – "mom?  mom?  it is pellets-time yet?  mom?"

• osprey
                      Participant
                      2065 posts Send Private Message

I cannot vouch for the discussion, but here is a thread from a guinea pig board about finding cubes in the UK

p200.ezboard.com/Where-to-find-CUBES-in-UK/fcavycagesfrm17.showMessage

• BinkyBunny
                        8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Tristana!!  I am so sorry to hear about Arthur.    I am sure that was devastating. As far as bringing your bunny into your home, you have come to the right place!!   Most of us have our bunnies in our homes, and except for special circumstances we encourage this type of set-up for domestic bunnies. (hence our top graphic of our cartoon bunny inside)    Check out the Bunny Info section (in the top green tool bar)  and look at Cool Habitats, Bunny Proofing and Litter training to help get you prepared.

When you first bring your bunny home, don’t let your bunny have access to the whole house yet, as you want him to establish what is his territory and what is the general territory that he shouldn’t mark in.   So freedom will be limited,but it won’t be forever.   Note: Baby bunnies and bunnies that are not neutered are much harder to train.

Indoor rabbits can have a wonderful quality of life because they are social animals that want to have company and being indoors, they can get even more of that..  There are all kind of things that enrich their environment, things to jump on, crawl under, and there are tunnels and boxes you can get and watch them play!   Having them indoors allows you to watch all of their funny and loving antics.    I am sure many will tell you how they hang out with their bunny while watching tv, reading a book or working on their laptop.   I know mine can be pet for hours while I grab a pillow and hang out on the floor with them when they venture into the living room.

And those evening binkies!  What joy!  So though there are things you have to watch out for like covering electric cords with cord covers, (and those kinds of challenges are what we’re here for) but there are so many wonderful benefits to having a bunny in your home with you.  

So keep us updated!

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                          Participant
                          2517 posts Send Private Message

You’ll find that the majority of us have house rabbits who are litterbox trained and all! Rabbits can make wonderful house pets! Just make sure to “bunny-proof” before you let them run around unattended!

• Spacehopper
                            Participant
                            540 posts Send Private Message

House buns are definitely the way to go if you don’t have a garden. We did in our old place, built a nice run for the Bumstar and he hated it. He sat in one corner moody as sin. We no longer have a garden, apart from communal (i wouldn’t leave the terrible two out there), but what they don’t know, they don’t miss!! Happy as a pig in poopy, they are!!

• MooBunnay
                              Participant
                              3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello Tristana and Welcome!!
                                Yes, you are at the right place for indoor bunnies! I actually currently have 7 indoors – though I wouldn’t recommend that many unless you plan to vacuum every day like I have too Having indoor bunnies is LOTS of fun – the best way to make sure that everyone is as happy as can be is to make sure your house is bunny proofed (see tips on this site) and have your bunnies neutered and spayed. Bunnies are natural invetigators, so don’t be surprised if from time to time you find them getting into things they probably shouldn’t be…Look forward to seeing many jumps and binkies and lots of bonding time with your indoor bunnies!

• LoveLops
                                Participant

Hi all,

Thought you might like to see the first film of the little lads I’m adopting:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0VS94PQYYGM

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A No garden