Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Nixon’s Neuter

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • xParadise
      Participant
      182 posts Send Private Message

Soo.. Nixon got neutered yesterday.. and it went SUPER well. The vet techs there were amazed at how well he handled the surgery, they said they’ve never had a rabbit react that well to it. Apparently he was awake in no time after the surgery and eating right away. Which I was really relieved to hear because lots of websites I looked up discouraged spays/neuters in rabbits over six, they claimed it was too risky. I was also told that he is in EXCELLENT shape, and seems very healthy.. maybe just a teeny bit underweight, but nothing to worry about (that just means he needs more treats, right? )

Unfortunately he has to wear an E-collar, which he strongly disapproves of, and he makes it known! But other than that he seems pretty comfortable- right now he’s stretched right out in his cage. The only thing is he can manage to eat/drink pretty easily, but obviously with that e-collar on he can’t eat his cecals like he normally could. They are smooshed all over the carpet in his cage. I think he’s getting most of them, but definitely not all. I don’t know what to do to help him out.. As well, his poops are really tiny compared to normal. He is eating hay, but not as much as usual.

I think the saddest part is watching him try to groom himself with that e-collar on. He continues on and on forever, just not getting anywhere. He just ends up licking the collar to death. It must drive him crazy! But he just keeps trying.. what a trooper

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

OH goodness poor guy.  And I hope he doesnt’ end up impeached.   Sounds good he is eating well.   Yes the poops do get small for a week or so. 

Can you give him a break from the ecollar and see how he does?  None of mine had it and they did fine.  One bun had glue the other had those disentigrating stitches.  Though some rabbits may go to mess with the stitches.  If that happens it can be pretty bad having to take them in again.

• Cassi&Charlie
          Participant
          1260 posts Send Private Message

Charlie was in a collar and everytime he got that funny look & started twitching his mouth, we took the collar off so he could eat his cecals. They’re really important for bateria in the gut and I would think especially important after an operation. I hope you can figure out a way for him to eat them.

• Balefulregards
            Participant
            715 posts Send Private Message

Did the techs tell you why he HAD to wear the collar?

Coco had one sent home with her, but I was told to only put it on her if she started chewing at her stitches.

I never ended up using it.

And forgive me, but aren’t boy buns SO much easier to alter? With Coco, it was like a C-section scar – but the boys seems to get an easier time of it as the testicles are more accessible.

I’m not sure I would keep it on him if there isn’t a really good reason to.

• xParadise
              Participant

Well the reason is because this vet uses actual stitches, not those dissolving ones. I felt bad for him, and so I tried taking it off and the second I did he went straight for the sutures, so that’s not a good sign. He really hates it though, I feel so bad for him. I think it’s harder on rabbits than it is on cats and dogs, because cats and dogs have eyes on the front of their heads. I think it really takes away a lot of his vision. Poor guy

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

Hey xparadise

I find they will tolertate the collar for about three days max One thing I found that helps is trimming the collar a little so that they can get their cecals and eat easier Glad to hear he’s doing so well!

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

oh, that’s great news. Sounds like he will be just fine, and the small poops are normal after surgery as his system starts to come back to normal.

KK:  That’s a great idea about cutting down the collar. 

I have been lucky never to have had a bunny wear the collar, but I can just imagine and I’m sure it makes their already sensitive hearing even more sensitive with that thing.

Sending continued healing vibes. Did they say how long he had to have the collar on for?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant
                    12067 posts Send Private Message

The booklet they send home says 14 days, but it’s a stock booklet for dogs and cats too; Soo I find about three to four days does the trick so they dont chew.

• xParadise
                      Participant

Yes I’m thinking tonight I will try taking the collar off. He’s getting used to it, so it’s not as much of a problem (although he does still take down everything in his path with that thing). But he is turning into one dirty, stinky bunny since he’s unable to groom himself. It must just drive him crazy too, since bunnies like to be so clean. He’s getting his stitches out Tuesday, so he doesn’t have too much longer

• BookerTRabbit
                        Participant
                        45 posts Send Private Message

I’m so glad to hear his nueter went well. We are taking Benny, also 6, to get fixed tomorrow. Hope he does as well as Nixon !!

• xParadise
                          Participant

Good luck with your Benny I’m sure he’ll do just fine.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Nixon’s Neuter