Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING News! Poops! and Bunny strollers?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • The Rabbit
      Participant
      183 posts Send Private Message

So. Today we got Zelly Checked down at the House rabbit society, She’s spayed, great teeth, and she had her nails clipped. They showed me so much! Zelda it seems is madly in love with Pixel. They explained that she wasn’t biting to be  malicious. They said she was biting when pixel rejected her advances. Then she got frustrated and bit, and he’d be scared of her next time she came near! It was all just one big understanding! The women there were so unbelievably nice. There were buns coming in and out. There a was a little baby bun with splotches of mottles grey all over her, and she had stripes on her tail! She was getting checked to see if she was a she, and such.

There were some kids, probably from a camp group petting the buns. They wanted to Pet Pixel (or Zelda) So i let two of them go in the enclosure with Pixel and give him some loving. One at a time. Zelda might bite so i don’t want to risk it. Pixel *loved* it. he was scared witless of being in a weird place, but he loved the lovin’.

I’m mostly going to have to force snuggle and do a *lot* of car rides if I want to bond them. They showed me how to stop her from biting in an instant, and how to really force snuggle them.

I’m still a little worried that I’m not up to the task. However, I will be leaving for a short while this summer to visit family. The main woman there offered to board them, and even help bond them if I want! I’m still trying to warm up to Zelda.

I was getting claustrophobic in my room with all the hay and poop and two cages.  I really don’t want all that poop and urine on the cardboard in my room. I really need help litter training her.  any tips, or ideas you can think of?

another issue I have. I was thinking about the unlikely possibility: What if sometime in the future, it cannot be avoided and I have to get my buns up? and then I said in my head “i’ll just give up Zelda then.” If they are boded that would be impossible. and It’s not fair to her for me to keep thinking this way. She isn’t lesser than Pixel, just different, and I have to really feel it.

I’m thinking of getting a pet stroller. I’m still unsure if i’m to keep Zelda (but the HRS thinks it’s actually a good idea to keep her). I’d like to have the freedom of bonding them that way, getting in my exercise, and bonding a little with her.  does anyone know any good brands? I saw some videos of bunnies being stroller bonded. The HRS also suggested many car rides.

actually, Zelda has been on my lap the whole time i’ve typed this. She’s loving the attention, but she still hates when I come near her.

• Minty
        Participant
        338 posts Send Private Message

Wow, it’s great to know your HRS chapter was so helpful! And it must be nice to know you have some great rabbit knowledgeable people that are willing to help Maybe give Zelda a bit more time to settle in and see if you warm up to her. How long have you had her now? It is strange her litter box habits are so poor since she is spayed. I remember seeing pics in your other thread. How big is the space she is housed in? I found that if I gave my bunnies too much freedom right away they forgot where their litter box was and would have accidents.

About the pet strollers, I have seen a lot of ppl use them for their dogs but they are very expensive… at least in my area. Around $200 or more. If you are just going to use the stroller for bonding I might just get a top opening carrier or something. It might also be hard to push the stroller and supervise the bonding as well. Keep us updated on your decision about Zelda!

• The Rabbit
          Participant

The cage is large, but not huge. Those strollers really are pricey. I’m hating to admit it (and I’m hoping no one will be angry with me if I say so) But i’m thinking after this whole experience, I might not really be up to the task of caring for her long term. She deserves a family who loves her as much as I love Pixel, and I hate to say this too, but my feelings aren’t measuring up.

I actually saw her use her box a few minutes ago, so I know she knows how. I just keep having to pick up all her poops. The poop doesn’t smell, but her pee sure does.

I was feeling really, really, bad abut it, but I’m thinking I will probably just foster her for now, and have the HRS find her a new home where she can be a happy, loved bun.

My Guinea Pig just died, and my dog died in early march. Both of old age. I’m feeling down about it. I think a dog, a cat, a rabbit and a turtle might be enough for now. I’m just glad I got her away from that woman. I’ve always wanted to be in rescue and taking care of animals, and maybe this will be my first experience.

It’s all very hard for me, because I have never given an animal up. But I want her to be someones special bun. She’s a queen bunny. She’d make a great only bun, or do great with a rabbit who will put up with her and not be afraid.

• Elrohwen
            Participant
            7318 posts Send Private Message

I was nervous about Hannah at first, and I absolutely didn’t love her right away. I had very strong feelings for Otto, but my feelings for Hannah were still lukewarm and I felt guilty about it. After 3 months, I can say that I love her more all the time. I think it’s easy to feel instant love for your first bunny, but with the second you need to warm up to them, just the way Pixel needs to warm up to her. I would keep trying with the HRS’ suggestions and see how it goes for a little longer. Spend time with just her and I think you will grow to like her more.

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

My love for Meadow is certainly different than my love for Max. But I still love him and most importantly, Meadow loves him, and I want the best life possible for him, and I know that means staying with me forever. I didn’t get a 2nd bunny for me (well, maybe a little bit…) I got a 2nd bunny for Meadow.

So if you want to bond her with Pixel, I would try really hard to get it done, but once they’re bonded, that’s it. There is no taking it back.

If you’re at all unsure about her, then you should stop any bonding efforts and relocate her away from Pixel. There is still a chance for them to develop a partial bond thru cages, so if you’re not keeping her, she has to be out of the room.

Plus, as long as they’re in the same space and not bonded, the litter habits won’t get any better, and Pixel’s may even start to regress.

• The Rabbit
                Participant

My Mother has actually decided that *she* might want to keep her. We have the space, now that our guinea pig is gone. ( ) She’s still thinking about it. I’m going to keep zelda on for awhile. I’m actually wanting to train her.

• mocha200
                  Participant
                  4486 posts Send Private Message

i always favored mocha. i used to give him all the new toys and all the attention. but when i started bonding them i realised that lulu was soooo sweet! and now i LOVE her to death! i can’t emagine life with out her.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING News! Poops! and Bunny strollers?