Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING new to bonding, would this be okay?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • bumpybunny
      Participant
      152 posts Send Private Message

hi 🙂 so my current rabbit pumpkin (1 year old) is my first one, and i got her spayed recently. i would really like to get her a friend in a few weeks/months when her hormones are completely gone, but i dont know much about bonding them yet.

pumpkin’s x pen is in my bedroom where she is free roamed most of the time and she hasn’t been around another rabbit since she was a baby. the only problem is that there arent any extra rooms in the house where i’d be able to put the new rabbit’s cage in (which would be another x pen).

if i get another rabbit i would have to put it’s cage in my room next to pumpkin’s. i thought i could maybe let pumpkin free roam for half of the day while the other is in it’s cage and then do the same for the new rabbit the other half and do this for a week or so until they could get used to each other, then eventually let them both out at once and see how it goes? would this be okay to do or would it be too stressful for them? this would be the only way i could get another rabbit. i am planning on adopting a rabbit that is already spayed/neutered if possible.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

So, having the bun sin side-by-side pens for them to get acquainted is great. I suggest setting up side-by-side x-pens so you have a buffer of space between them so they can’t nip noses through the fence. Then each bun has a “home base”. Bonding can take a few weeks in cases of easy bonds, or as long as a few months in tougher bonds, so it’s important to make sure you have a decent set-up for them during that time.

But, you will need a truly neutral space (where neither rabbit has ever been) for actually bonding sessions. If you just let them out at the same time in the room they have spent time in they will very likely fight.

Do you have an area in your home where you current rabbit has never been? I used to use my bathroom for bonding when I lived in a studio apartment. I’ve also had friends let me use their garage for bonding sessions when things got longer and I needed more space.

Another consideration is that although most bonds do work out if the proper bonding process is followed, there are some times where the pairing just isn’t a good match. So you should have a plan for if that happens (either finding a new home for one bun, or keeping them separate permanently).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING new to bonding, would this be okay?