Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS New owner seeking enclosure advice

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • ErinF
      Participant
      14 posts Send Private Message

Hello! My not-quite-four-month-old bun currently resides in a large cage, with access to a larger, gated play space any time I’m home/awake. I plan to make some changes once he’s neutered/fully litter trained. I would like to leave his cage open and permanently attach a larger enclosure for 24/7 access, and then be able to open THAT enclosure for supervised play (and hopefully free roam one day). The best way to do that seems to be an exercise pen or to build something with cube grids. I thought I’d found an x-pen that would work well, but then saw a review where her Netherland dwarf got his head stuck! And am now freaked out…Are there x-pens that are best for bunnies in particular? Or does anyone have enclosure advice in general? The options are a little overwhelming. Thank you!

• mia
        Participant
        519 posts Send Private Message

Most exercise pens are fine. I’ve used several Midwest exercise pens; there’s no way to get stuck. The higher the better.

I have had dwarf buns go through cube grids.

• BrownietheBunny
          Participant
          15 posts Send Private Message

I think you should just make sure that the gaps are not too big to get its head stuck. I prefer x pens without bars because my bunny constantly bites them to get attention and it may not be very good for their teeth if they keep biting it. However, if your bunny doesn’t have this problem, I think getting one with bars is completely fine. And just like what @mia said, the higher the better as most rabbits can easily jump out if not high enough.

• ErinF
            Participant
            14 posts Send Private Message

Thank you, that makes me feel better! I was thinking 42” would be sufficient for my Holland Lop? Or higher would be safer?

• mia
                Participant
                519 posts Send Private Message

42″ should be fine

• DanaNM
                8901 posts Send Private Message

I was able to find these small mesh cube grids that would work great if you are worried about her getting stuck in bars! They are a bit smaller than the typical grids, and you can connect them with small cable ties. I think they look pretty nice as well! I hear they are popular for making DIY rat cages.

I wrote about them here: https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/nose-guards/

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• NetherlandLop
                  Participant
                  7 posts Send Private Message

When one of my buns was a baby she managed to slip through the bars of a standard x-pen. I was absolutely shocked, I hadn’t realised how tiny she was when you squashed down all the fur! To prevent it happening again, I just zip tied a finer mesh to the bottom of the pen. I had it on hand so it was a free and easy fix, but in your case it may be easier to get one of the recommend pens above since you haven’t bought anything yet.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS New owner seeking enclosure advice