Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR New owner need emotional support.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gizmo
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I am 35 years old and have never had a pet before. Gizmo is 1.5 years old and his last owners did not have him fixed. He isn’t very aggressive and we truly love each other. But when things go wrong (couch chewing, couch peeing, etc.), I can’t always implement the solution immediately…or feel 100% confident I’m doing the right thing. I know there are lots of answered questions on forums, but I just need some emotional support I get so nervous when things come up.
        I loooooove animals and have always wanted a pet, and to be honest my life is a lot better since I got Gizmo, but sometimes I feel so stressed out and alone with it and I kinda regret my decision (don’t worry, I’m not backing out, Gizzy and I are stuck together now ?)
        Please feel free to reply or reach out to my inbox, I would love people to talk to so that both bunny and mummy can be happy and well.

• Muchelle
        Participant
        1141 posts Send Private Message

Hello and welcome! Also congrats for getting Gizmo!

You sound about like any bunny owner in times of stress I sure remained in that mental state for a long time after my bun and I got bunched together.

• Luna
          Participant
          2219 posts Send Private Message

Hi! We all feel overwhelmed or unsure at times . Certain behaviors can be minimized with neutering (ie. territorial marking). Buns are natural chewers, so the only way to try to get them to stop chewing on things that they shouldn’t is to block off access to the things they are chewing on, and provide proper chewing toys. Also, buns don’t understand punishment. However, they can be trained through positive reinforcement (ie. giving a treat for good behavior).

• ThorBunny
            Participant
            824 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! We all know the struggles and joys of bunny ownership, so this is the right place for solidarity

Here’s an amusing thread that went around recently about how imperfect rabbits can be sometimes, might be helpful to see all the other things people have to deal with! https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/164986/Default.aspx

• YandereCapybara
              Participant
              58 posts Send Private Message

Hi there!
                Sounds like you’re having a tough time.
                I suggest you go and neuter your bun, as this can save you from a lot of pain, especially when your bun might start trying to dig. (Ruined our carpet)
                As for the chewing, Gary took a few nibbles out of a couple of lovely paintings and a little bit out of our piano.
                For us, the solution was to provide him with apple tree sticks.
                He and Poro love chewing on those things.

• Bam
                16877 posts Send Private Message

Apple tree sticks or willow and/or a cardboard house can help redirect your bun from chewing on things he shouldn’t. Neutering can help with pee marking, but it doesn’t always stop a bun from wanting to pee on soft surfaces like sofas or beds.

Please stick around and ask questions or just chat in the monthly chat thread. Sometimes it isn’t super-straightforward to own and care for a rabbit. That’s why these forums exist, so we can help each other figure things out =)

• Manda
                  Participant
                  176 posts Send Private Message

I’m overwhelmed too I’ve had buns for pretty much my whole life and I got a baby bun and I feel like I have no idea what I’m doing sometimes because I’m so used to having older buns

• Snowbirdy6
                    Participant
                    40 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I rescued my buns back in October and then the second in December. I am also overwhelmed and exhausted. I am also feeling like I regret my decision to adopt and bond them. They are SO much work, I just had no idea.. even with research, I just didn’t realize. I built a huge cage that cost me $300 and I neutered both of them, which was super expensive too.. I feel like, if I could find the right home that knows rabbits and would spend more time with them and care for them.. I might consider re-homing them.. but I have spent so much time on them.. I don’t want to do that either.. I’m just frustrated. And my one bunny keeps biting me. I don’t want a pet that is going to keep biting me all the time. I say no and squeek like it says your supposed to do, but clearly it is not working because he is still biting. My rabbits take up so much time, I feel like all I do is care for them.. and ignore my cats and the rest of my life. Is there any way to make caring for rabbits a little less stressful and more fun instead of it feeling like such a chore?

• LittlePuffyTail
                      18092 posts Send Private Message

I’ve had bunnies for almost 15 years now and I can say, for sure, it is a never ending learning process. They are super complex little critters but so worth all the stress, IMO.

Snowbirdy- Sorry you are having a hard time. They are a lot of work. I say that as a Mom of 2 unbonded bunnies. They need to come out for separate run time so it seems like I’m always planning my day around that. Are your bunnies bonded?

• MountainBuns
                        Participant
                        513 posts Send Private Message

I feel the same. Sometimes I wonder if I would be happier with a dog. Its not really the work that bothers me but I dont like when my rabbit just acts difficult for no reason, such as random lunging and kicking. At least a dog would be more peaceful.

• alltheprettybunnies
                          Participant
                          8 posts Send Private Message

O man, I hear you! I’ve experienced bunnies for a year at this point and I have to say, my high energy rescue Siberian Husky and newborn baby were easier (not more peaceful at first). Safe to say that bunnyships are sort of one sided. My rabbit boxed me and growled at me the other day for the first time and apparently that means she’s decided she wants to be large and in charge? She weighs 12lbs so it wasn’t funny- at all. I’m combing this message board to see if I can figure out how to manage her crazy ass!

Part of the charm of having a rabbit is getting to know a zany critter that is so different to all the others. Horses, goats, dogs, cats, birds- I’ve had a *lot* of pets and this rabbit situation is all new. Maybe it is sort of like having a miniature pony in my living room. That I can’t ride. Who throws her food dishes around and thumps st night. I decided that with rabbits it’s the journey and not the destination. I have big sleepy dogs and cats for constant affection. Zoe is more like a clinical trial in random hilarity.

Sorry! I meant to be more positive and I absolutely love her. Hang in there. Rabbits take a while (from what i understand ?.) I wanted you to know, other people feel the same.

• YandereCapybara
                            Participant
                            58 posts Send Private Message

Do you have any signs that your bunny recognize as your way of saying stop?
                              For Gary, he tried to box ? (Climbs onto your leg and starts digging, it really hurts ) us too.
                              We would shriek whenever he does that, and take away all his treats for the entire day.
                              It’s been a week since we’ve last gotten any new injuries.
                              He’s already given me three scars, though.

• MountainBuns
                              Participant
                              513 posts Send Private Message

Oh no, Caroline has boxed me twice. She once boxed my face and then my hand! Neither really hurt but they just scared me. Maybe you should get his nails trimmed, that is probably what causes the pain.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR New owner need emotional support.