Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A New Member of the Family!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • melovia
      Participant
      18 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven’t posted in a while – between Honey and work, I haven’t had much time to look at the forums. Things have been going awesome with honey and my boyfriend and me – She jumps around our feet when we come in to feed her. She cuddles up with us, and doesn’t even freak out at all if we pick her up! It’s awesome. Next paycheck we’re taking her to get spayed. Which brings me to the next part of my news-

We got a new bunny! Hehe.. I couldn’t help myself. We went to the pet store to get food for his snake, and I saw this adoreable white bunny. I went over to Jeff and was like, "I have to have her." She ran up to the cage door the second I was near her, and was leaning on it, just waiting for me to pet her. We really quick ran home and got Honey in her travel cage and brought her up to the pet store. We got them both out,a nd were holding them, and they seemed to do really well – by that I mean they at least didn’t try to kill each other. So we bought her and brought them both home – Jeff named her Ginger, cute huh?

Anyway, once we got them home, we set them both down on the floor in the kitchen, which was my mistake – that’s where Honey stays. We just needed them out of the way while we got Ginger’s space ready in the living room. Needless to say, Honey was less than impressed with Ginger being there, and lunged at her, chasing her around the kitchen. I picked up the little one and we herded Honey into her cage until we could move Ginger to her home.

Now Im just worried, with this bad encounter, how we should go about beginning to bond the two. Jeff was checking on Ginger and it looked like whoever brought her to the pet store had not taken care of her properly, she had a lot of stuff dried underneath her. We’re cleaning her off in intervals – as long as she can stand being still for us to do it – And there’s a little patch of fur that seems to be missing where some stuff had dried on. We’re hoping that nothing else has gone wrong for the little sweetie, but can’t really be sure til we can get her in to a vet. Which brings me to my next question – apart from the checkups they both need, we’re getting Honey spayed next check, but should we be doing the same for Ginger so soon? Or should we wait and let her get more used to things, and see if she can grow some of that fur back first?

And should we be thinking of trying bonding before all this happens, or should they just be kept apart for a few months til everything settles down? I was so excited that Honey would have a friend for the hours of the day when we’re both at work. I just don’t want anything to go wrong!

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

OH, I’m so glad you saved poor Ginger.  You did the right thing to bring your bunny there to meet her and though they did not get along in Honey’s territory, (of course), but the fact that they didn’t try to kill each other in neutral territory and during stress (car ride) means they may get along if you go through a formal bonding process.   It’s easier to bond when they are both spayed and neutered and of course, as you know and found out, finding a neutral territory to introduce is best.  I think it would be good to wait a few days to help put the "first bad incident" behind them. 

Not only that, I’d recommend having a vet double check their sex.   We’ve had several members be "suprised" with a pregnancy with they thought were told that the bunnies were the same sex, or they brought home a same-sexed bunny. 

Two of the same sex can be more challenging, but it really comes down to one taking on the dominance role while the other takes on either a passive or less dominant role.  They sometimes do have to go through chasing and mounting, but you want to keep them from fighting.  Check out the bonding section for tips on bonding.

Also, I think since you are noticing Ginger may not have had the best care, be sure that she’s as healthy first so she doesn’t pass anything to Honey as well as bonding can be stressful for Ginger, and she may need some time to get healthier.   Stress can negatively affect her immune system.

Good Luck and Keep us updated!

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

congrats on your new addition! I’m so glad you were able to save Ginger.

I’d second Binky’s recommendation to have both bunnies sexed to ensure they’re both girls, since you don’t want a surprise litter. It sounds like a good thing that you’re planning to bring them both into the vet, especially since it sounds like Ginger didn’t get great care before you brought her home. Bunnies are MUCH more territorial in their home turf, which is why we always recommend working on bonding them in a neutral zone that no one claims as territory – maybe your bathroom I also would recommend having both bunnies spayed / neutered prior to working on bonding. It generally is the best bet, since it calms some of those territorial urges and craziness from hormones.

• Tripppysmurf
            Participant
            10 posts Send Private Message

Once we get them spayed how long should we wait to bond them?

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

Trippysmurf – it takes some times for the hormones to calm down, but if it’s a boy and girl you want to wait at least 30 days until there are no more viable sperm.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A New Member of the Family!