Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE New Member Introduction

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • beth82
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone, I just joined and thought I should introduce myself.  I don’t have a bunny yet, but I’m learning a lot about them. I do have dogs and cats, and would love to add a bunny or two to my fur-family. I would love any information on how to do this safely.

Elizabeth

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello!

My name is Elizabeth too! Well, actually, I go by Betsy, but anyways…

Its great that you are thinking about adding some bunnies to the family! Are your dogs and cats indoor or outdoor animals? If they are indoor, the first thing you should think about is how they are going to co-habitate. First, many bunnies can be very frightened by dogs or cats, even if the dogs or cats mean well and are playing, dog and cat play (as a predator type animal) is very different from bunny play (as a prey type animal). Also, somethings to consider is how you will keep the bunnies out of the cat and dog food, as well as how you will keep the bunnies out of the cat litter boxes. These are some things that I have found to be the biggest obstacles when introducing bunnies to a dog and cat home. Also, you’ll need an area for the bunnies to live in when you are not at home where the dogs and cats cannot get too. It is very important that you are home and supervising when the dogs, cats and bunnies are all interacting.

Anyways, its great you are doing some preliminary work for considering bunnies – I just LOVE having them as housepets.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

welcome Elizabeth!  have you ever had rabbits before… or know anyone who has?  what makes you want to have them in the family?

• beth82
            Participant
            6 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the welcome! To answer your questions:

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, all indoor pets and all "fixed". Any rabbit I adopt would also be indoors and spayed or neutered.

I was thinking I’d have to keep the bunny in his cage and/or an expen with a top (when the other animals are around) so the dogs can’t chase him and the cats can’t bother him.  Or, do they need to be in completely separate rooms? My dogs are gentle with the cats and I’m sure they would learn to be equally gentle with any other pet, but I worry that they would scare him without meaning to.

I have never had a rabbit before, though one of my friends did as a child.  He was kept outdoors in a cage and fed pellets, plus the family would pick grass and feed it to him through the bars. From the reading I’ve done so far, I know now that isn’t the best way.

I’ve always liked bunnies, but my mom doesn’t, so I was never allowed to have one growing up. That’s why I am looking into it now.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Elizabeth! We’re so glad that you came here to find out everything before being tossed in the throes of house rabbit ownership! That’s great!

Binky Bunny is a great source of information with the links above, I would start with BUNNY INFO. 

Here is info on bonding your dogs with rabbits.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/dogs.html

What breed are yoru dogs?  Some dogs, say hunting breeds or small high-strung ones are not a good match to rabbits.  It is a good idea to have a rabbit in with the action of the family but safely.  It may be wise to give them a space of their own, at least at first.

Here is info on bonding cats with rabbits:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

There are some great organizations out there from which you can adopt and already trained house rabbit, depending on your locale:

http://www.rabbit.org

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/

http://www.bunnybunch.org/shelterfostermain.html

http://www.rabbithaven.org/index.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/index.html

You might also want to consider volunteering first to see if is really something you want and are prepared for.  Plus it helps the foster bunnies and you learn a lot!

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

hi Beth,

welcome! 🙂 you’ve gotten some great suggestions – but wanted to make sure to welcome you too!

when you start seriously looking for a bunny to adopt, the local rescue may have a bunny that especially likes cats or does well with other animals. 🙂
                  i’d also recommend trying fostering a bunny, since it can be a great way to figure out how a bunny will fit into your lives.

also – is there a room where your bunny will be able to run and play without the dogs and cats?

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Beth! You have received excellent advice and questions to think about. Since many cat litters are dangerous for bunnies and rabbits should not eat catfood, but some will still try, then of course you have to get creative.

I especially think fostering is a wonderful idea! I also agree that at least at first, until you know for absolute sure that your dogs and cats won’t react to a bunny’s movements in way that would put them into a prey/predator mode then it would be best to separate. I have heard too many horror stories – even with dogs that were considered just fine with rabbits, to not warn you to be cautious about ever leaving them completely unsupervised with your dogs. Even an xpen can be pushed by a dog, and a cat, just wanting to play, can reach in with its sharp claws and accidentally scratch an eye, etc.

Not that rabbits and other animals can’t live peacefully together, but rabbits move in a way that can create a hunter reaction in other animals, so you just have to be aware of that.

Keep us updated.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE New Member Introduction