Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE New here!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunbunmom89
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

First time bun mom. Here is my sweetheart Bert, he was rescued in the middle of a highway, covered in mats and fleas! He is kind gentle and sweet and I got my first lick today! ( only had him for 3 days) he is getting a custom built doll house just for him this week! Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated. I also have chickens and always have antibiotics/ medicine on hand, would anyone recommend medicine to have on hand for bert for emergencies? Thanks so much!

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

Welcome, and hello Bert! Welcome to BinkyBunny! He looks so wonderful in the hands of a caring owner — even has a cupcake, haha.

For rabbits, we don’t really recommend having medications on hand since dosing and treatment recommendations are most safe guided by a veterinarian’s assessment of a rabbit. There are even some OTC medications for dogs and cats that are toxic for rabbits, like Frontline. For some ideas on what could be good in a first-aid kit, see here: https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/show-us-your-first-aid-kit/

Please read our RABBIT INFO section for good overviews of recommended diet and housing. For additional information, I recommend new owners review the following: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/New_Rabbit_Owner_Primer

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Bam
          16872 posts Send Private Message

Hi and very welcome to the BB forums!

Bert is adorable! Thank you for rescuing him! He’s a lucky little guy!

As for a bunny first aid kit,  simethicone baby gas drops are probably the most useful first-intervention med. Normal wound care stuff is also great to have, as well as nail clippers and a good brush and/ or hairbuster comb for molting season. From there you can add on useful things as you go along – like a quick thermometer, hand warmers or a warm water bottle, fucidine or triple antibiotic ointment, saline eye wash, a feeding syringe etc. I have 2 bunny meds-drawers by now, but most of the stuff is for the care of old or special-needs buns. As Wick says, prescription meds are for vets to prescribe, but there’s lots of useful otc stuff that might come in handy.

Since youve already got a lick from Bert it seems like you are doing really great as a bun parent 😃

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

Omg what a cutie!! Thank you for rescuing him! Welcome Bert!

There is tons of great info here for new rabbit owners, especially about diet, housing, bunny-proofing, etc: https://binkybunny.com/house-rabbit-information/

As a rule, antibiotics should only be given when prescribed by an experienced rabbit-savvy vet, because rabbits have a pretty delicate digestive system that can be thrown off by antibiotics. Some antibiotics have to be given as an injection because of this, and others aren’t safe to use in any situation. Rabbits are much like tiny horses, because they cannot throw up and have sensitive tummies!

You also may already know this, but never use Frontline or any fipronil-containing product on rabbits, as it can cause severe toxicity.

One thing I wish I had known with my first bun, was to make sure you find a rabbit-savvy vet, and have a “new patient” appointment BEFORE you need one. Sometimes vets aren’t taking new patients or don’t have time in their schedule for a new patient visit when your bun is really sick. In general with rabbits, not eating or pooping for more than 12 hours is a medical emergency. Rabbits hide their pain really well, so by the time they aren’t eating things can be pretty bad for them.

It is great to have a first-aid kit on hand. Some things that are really useful are:

-a baby rectal thermometer (when a bun’s temp is low that can indicate severe pain and shock)

-small wide-tipped syringes (sizes 1 mL and 6 mL are my preferred sizes) for syringe feeding, giving meds, or giving fluids

-simethicone (baby gas drops, often the first thing to try if your bun seems gassy)

-Critical Care or similar recovery food

-cornstarch or kwik stop in case you cut a nail too short

Other things (like pain meds and sub-Q fluids) usually have to come from a vet. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bunbunmom89
                Participant

Thank you so so much!

• DanaNM
                8930 posts Send Private Message

Oh my gosh we all replied at once! LOL Sorry for the repeat info!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• ParsleyBun
                  Participant
                  119 posts Send Private Message

What a cutie pie bunbun! Do I spy a Lionhead? 🙂

• Bunbunmom89
                      Participant

Yes!! He sure is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen❤️

• ParsleyBun
                        Participant
                        119 posts Send Private Message

I have 2 part lionheads!

• LBJ10
                        16899 posts Send Private Message

OMG! How cute! He sure is fuzzy. Do you have more pictures of him? From the picture you posted, he looks more like a Jersey Wooly to me. What is his fur texture like?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE New here!